Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tortured by Nostalgia - Sunshine On A Rainy Day



I'm probably the only person here who's ever even heard this song and honestly, I'm not sure why I'm doing this to you. I was trying to write a "Rediscovering Old Loves" post about The Jesus and Mary Chain & Hope Sandoval's collaboration "Sometimes Always," but all the video I found was just too depressing... they looked like they were being tortured.

Soo... after staring out the window at the 9 millionth cloudy day since I've been home, this song popped into my head. I lived in London for two and a half months in 1991 and everywhere I went I heard "Sunshine On A Rainy Day"... well, Sunshine and Bryan Adams' "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You." Yes, blaring from the speakers of the High Street Market in Walthamstow, walking behind old ladies with their plastic bag push carts, Zoe's voice carried us through. I don't know what ever became of her, but apparently Baby Spice covered this song a few years ago. Not sure that was necessary, really. My favorite part about this video - her outfit. God, remember when bike shorts were de rigeur? Well, you better, because THEY'RE COMING BACK!

Yes, the early 90s are everywhere again. God help us.

In other news, I'm trying to get back on the blogging bandwagon but I'm currently obsessed with playing Animal Crossing: City Folk. Alternate reality is so much more fun at the mo.

Oh, are any of you watching Harper's Island or am I the only one? Harry Hamlin got his lower half ripped off last week. Good times.

4 comments:

  1. They're back!? I'm going into hiding until the early 90's phase is over. Let me know when grunge comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, i'm letting you know. grunge is back. grunge fashion anyway. all my catalogs and mags are full of plaid/flannel shirts, boyfriend jeans, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent many hours feeling sorry for myself with Mazzy Star playing in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. Maybe I should pay more attention to this thing called "fashion." Then again, maybe not.

    And on the subject of this woman's outfit: I don't know why I'm fascinated with it, but I am.

    ReplyDelete