Thursday, August 7, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance - Finale Pt 2 - And The Winner Is...

I think Cat has worn exactly ONE (okay, maybe two, I just saw another) outfit this year that didn't make me recoil in horror. Then again, nothing's been as awful as that pink leopard print Gucci dress she wore in season 2, although this gold fringed thing with what appears to be a mustard striped leotard underneath is giving it a run for its money. Why on earth do I remember this crap?

It's super weird to see the Top 20 again. What an unmemorable bunch they were. Tom and I agreed that it might be some of the strongest Top 4 we've seen but definitely not the strongest 20. We also agree on best routine of each season and had a fond moment reminiscing about Sabra and Neil's "Sweet Dreams" piece. We are dorks to the infinite power, yes it's true.

Shane Sparks put together a routine I think I saw on some cheerleading competition on ESPN. I guess all that time with Li'l Mama over on America's Best Dance Crew has dulled his senses or something.

The judges choose their favorite routines and first up is Nigel's. I, too, loved Katee and Josh's Bollywood routine. Good fun. Furthermore, I can't believe they remember it. I have an unfortunate tendency to forget my Tae Kwon Do forms as soon as I've tested them.

Mary's pick is Courtney and Gev's rhumba. Gev got a haircut. He looks better. It's like he came in a boy and left a man. :sniff: Courtney is so lucky she got that Sonya routine with Mark at the end because she's just... not that great, right?

Aww yeah, it's the pop off! I love Phillip Chbeeb. LOVE HIM. The other guy, Robert Muraine, quit in Vegas so he gets the lame vote from me. Phillip didn't go to Vegas because he caught pneumonia. I wondered why I didn't see him there. I don't get why everyone likes Robert better. Humf. At least Mia agrees with me.

Lil C spouts off some words of wisdom about the show being a museum or something then chooses Mark and Chelsie's hip hop routine to Leona Lewis' "Bleeding Love." A good choice. I'd forgotten this routine but it showcased them both really well (and gosh that Mark is such a cutie). Chelsie was better than Courtney. The truth is out.

Oh. My. God. Mary Murphy is grabbing Dmitri's butt. Damn, Mary's actually got a hot figure under those weirdo outfits she wears. It's good to see she can still cut a rug.

Mia's choice is Will and Katee's pas de deux choreographed by the legendary Desmond Richardson. Deffo one of the highlights and all the judges are on their feet at the end.

Adam Shankman is one of my favorite gays. He seems like he might be slightly unhinged but oodles of fun. Yipee, he picks Sonya's "Garden" piece. Psyched to see Mark and Courtney perform it again.

Ahh, it's the first cut of the night. Finally. The first to go is... Courtney. I think no one is surprised. She's generous and humble about it... or she was until she said she was so proud of herself. Just once I'd like to see someone scream "NOOOOO!" and punch one of their competitors.

I guess Nigel wanted us all to see his choreographing genius once again as we're treated to another performance of "Five Guys Named Moe."

Apparently Wade Robson's run off with Criss Angel and that's why he hasn't been around to jazz up SYTYCD. I don't know how many of you know what a bunny freak I am so I'm both charmed and disturbed by this Cirque du Soleil rabbit homage that is, I guess, part of Angel's "Believe" Vegas show. It's nice to hear Eric Serra's music for this routine. He composed the soundtrack for Luc Besson's The Big Blue, and I've been a fan ever since.

It's Katee's turn to go. Now I am surprised. And bummed. This is what happens when you don't vote, America! Twitch looks as shocked as I am. Cat tells her she's getting $50k for being the top girl which sends her into near hysterics.

These Debbie Allen Dance Academy kids are adorable. I wonder if she yells "You want fame? Well, fame COSTS. And right here is where you start paying . . . IN SWEAT" at them. Nigel comes out to tap along, and he's quite good for a geezer!

Mary brings back Katee and Twitch's door routine. I wonder if they'll have a full on makeout session again. Well, yes. Yes, they did.

Oh crap, it's The Jonas Bros. I mean, oh great. This is awesome. Wow. I was so glad to read the other day that they're saving their virginity and stuff. Purity is the new promiscuity, ya'll! I also read that they're taking their show in a more "Flight of the Conchords" direction. I wonder how Bret and Jemaine feel about that.

Man this show is long.

Debbie picks Twitch and Kherington's "A New Day Has Come" routine that Jean Marc Genereaux choreographed for his disabled daughter.

The last judge's choice is Nigel's, and he wants to see Tabitha and Napoleon's "No Air" routine performed by Katee and Josh. I've really enjoyed what they brought to the show and hope they'll be back again next year.

The final dance is a large number by contestants from seasons past and the current Top 20. Allison had a baby. Good lord. No Sabra! Where's Sabra?! Nice to see Ivan for two seconds.

And the winner is... Joshua. He and his adorable father are both crying.

The end.

See you next season, boys and girls,
Ms. P

photos courtesy of Fox.com/Dance

2 comments:

  1. Sabra MIA? With dancers back from previous seasons, I thought we would definitely see last year's winner! It's kind of shady that she wasn't there and was not even mentioned. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. although i usually love reading recaps of my favorite show, i found this one rather dry and the negativity of the writer really pissed me off.

    ReplyDelete