Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Olympics - Day 1 - Opening Ceremony

I've watched every Olympics since 1976, and this was by far the most spectacular Opening Ceremony I've seen (my second fave is probably Albertville in 1992).

Some random thoughts...

Zhang Yimou did an amazing job with the artistic portion of the program blending high tech graphics with the power of the people.

Who doesn't love Yao Ming? I love how they gave him way more screen time than that loser Kobe Bryant.

Didn't Rafael Nadal look adorable walking into The Bird's Nest? Glad to see Lindsay Davenport there. I wasn't sure if she was going to make it or not.

Is Matt Lauer really tall or is Bob Costas really short?

While I understand there are myriad political reasons to have problems with the Chinese government, the very tiny idealistic part of me wants to believe that since we only have so many opportunities to come together like this, we should maybe take them where we can get them.

I would probably have more to pontificate about, but it's 7 am, and I haven't really slept yet. Oops.

On another note, the tiny idealistic part of me was bummed to learn that John Edwards had an affair in 2006. Then again, I'm probably the fool for thinking politicians (nevermind lawyers!) are any better than the rest of us. It's not so much the affair, really, it's the circumstances, the lying, the running for President with a skeleton like this in the closet, the hubris, etc etc. Why on earth did Elizabeth stand by him for this? I've been soured on politics lately, though. Gee, I wonder why.

Happy weekending,
Ms. P

3 comments:

  1. Ms. P, Nadal would look cute doing just about anything.

    I wonder if Daniel from PR could be bothered to watch his first opening ceremonies this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about the little boy with Yao? That kid stole the show!
    I hear Brad and Angelina are trying to adopt him right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the little boy, Lin Hao, stole the show for sure. Especially when he said, "thank you" in English. He was the only thing that made Yao smile.

    Yes, I agree with you on Nadal, Maisy.

    I bet Daniel is watching and thinking, "Well, they would all look soooo much better in my purple dress!

    ReplyDelete