Thursday, July 17, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance - And Then There Were 8

Cat actually looks normal tonight. She's just announced that the show's makeup team was nominated for an Emmy. Shockingly, no hair and wardrobe? Goodness, what a surprise.

Last night's show started off a bit strange with new pairings. Josh's Frankenstein hip hop was pretty rad but highlighted Courtney's weaknesses. Kherington and Mark have no chemistry and good lord, a two-step?!! Their "Canned Heat" routine wasn't any better and Kherington's stripper solo only highlighted why I don't like her too much. Comfort and Twitch waltzing to Journey's "Open Arms" was hilarious! Loved their hip hop routine to my new favorite song, "Forever" by some guy called Chris Brown. As for Chelsie and Gev... Chelsea's the stronger dancer and she's hot. Problem is she knows it. I just love Katee and she made Will look better (thank God Jessica's gone. That girl bugged). Their pas de deux was a tad messy but ended beautifully.

Lots of group performances tonight as the show opens with a Bollywood number that you think would be more exciting with all the dancers going at it but Katee and Josh's routine was better, methinks.

Mia Michaels choreographs some "Ave Maria" thing with the girls and she's in tears at the end. I wonder why? Because she hates all the female dancers? Because she hates Celine Dion Because she considers herself a fallen angel? Maybe she's like me and is harsher on women because they represent all of us. No? I'd like to get to the root of this.

I'm glad Cat has gone back to saying "Yor jidges!" I really missed that.

Oh, who will be leaving us tonight? I guess I only really care about Katee at this point. Comfort and Kherington are in the bottom two. Not surprising.

The guys do a "Five Guys Named Moe" group routine choreographed by Nigel Lythgoe and it's about a million times more dynamic than the girls' piece. I do sort of feel like I'm watching N'Sync, though.

My guess for the bottom two guys is Gev and Mark. Am I right? It's hard to pick a favorite dude. I really like Mark and Josh. And Twitch. Will's growing on me. Gev, not so much.

Cat pronounces the word kudos "kudoss."

Gev and Mark. I so called it. Bent pinkies crossed for Mark.

It's last look solo time. For the first time ever, Comfort's solo impresses me. Bummer that she's probably the one going home.

Li'l C's words of wisdom, "It's really difficult to locate the avenue of gain when you're being chauffeured by loss." I want to get that tattooed across my back now. Not really.

Mark's solo is... interesting. Li'l C tells him he's "the most instrumental worker bee of the art hive." I think Li'l C ought to head on over to America's Best Dance Crew and show Li'l Mama what for.

Kherington surprises me with a modest but fairly uninteresting solo. I like her better with long hair, though. Li'l C says, "You are on a realistic TV show." Ha!

I gotta hand it to Gev. I liked his solo better than Mark's. It even ended too soon.

It's time for the ax to fall on... Kherington!!!! Holy cow. I am actually in shock. Kherington's family looks pissed... and Gev?!!! Holy cow x 2. Color me surprised as hell. Oh well, at least they made the tour.

On a serious note, I'm impressed that there's a show - as goofy as SYTYCD is - on TV that showcases so many different styles of dance and with some pretty amazing choreographers and dancers. I've seen dance from Broadway to Merce Cunningham to the Royal Ballet, and I'm regularly impressed with what I see here.

I hope that didn't sound totally pretentious,
Ms. P

No comments:

Post a Comment