Friday, May 16, 2008

California! Here We Come...

The California Supreme Court overturned the state's ban on same-sex marriage yesterday, stating that sexual orientation, like race or gender, "does not constitute a legitimate basis upon which to deny or withhold legal rights."

Lately, I've been saying how I don't miss LA every day like I used to but after my recent Harold & Kumar experience and now this (plus all the great shows at Gallery 1988 and Copro Nason), I'm starting to feel the pull again (and don't give me the "Go back to California, you liberal snob! comments... I'm sticking with life in the original OC).

To those who call this judicial activism at its worst, I ask you, will you feel the same way if the Supreme Court overturns Roe vs. Wade? I somehow doubt it so you ought to refrain from being a hypocrite (although for Evangelicals I feel like this is a way of life).

We are all born the same, we all deserve the same opportunities (the same "freedoms," if you will). People who hate on gays are some of the worst kind of fearmongers. At the end of the day I feel sad, not angry, that whatever experiences they've had led to this kind of blind discrimination.

And frankly, I think gays and lesbians should have the same chance to screw up marriage just as much as straights have. If marriage is so sacrosanct... if they shouldn't be allowed to marry... then straights shouldn't be allowed to divorce (in which case I would have been screwed, right?!).

I've said it all before... and I'll probably keep playing this broken record, too, if you don't mind. Doesn't the Statue of Liberty say something about giving us your tired, your poor, your unwashed masses or some such? I don't think it says, "Oh, unless you're GLBT. You people stay out."

You can read the story (and subsequent baffling/heartening comments that follow) here.

I am rambling, but pleased.
Ms. P

ps. I heart Fark.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post ansd this blog.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear! Go California!

    Thanks for showing your support.

    ReplyDelete