Friday, May 16, 2008

Farewell Justine Henin


My favorite female tennis player (by far) retired unexpectedly this week (full story here).

Justine Henin, the 25-year old Belgian world #1, said, "I always based everything on this motivation - this flame - that was in me. And once I lost that, I lost many, many things. I decided to stop fooling myself and accept it."

"I had reached my limits, and I feel strong and relieved that I could take this decision. There are plenty of things that I can do. There are no regrets. I did everything I had to do in tennis."

The French Open, which she won the last three years, won't be the same without her and neither will the sport.

I will confess that Maria Sharapova has impressed me more lately, but still, this is a giant hole to fill and I don't think Sharapova or the Serbs will fill it easily. Nevermind the Williams sisters.

I guess this will free up some time for me this summer since I'll likely only watch the men with Henin gone. She was a class act.

To read player tributes to Henin, check out ESPN.com.

Poo,
Ms. P

No comments:

Post a Comment