Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Viper Room


So, The Viper Room, the club once owned by former Kentucky resident Johnny Depp, has been sold. The club I used to book for 3 1/2 years. The club where I once saw Marcus Schenkenberg, Pamela Anderson, Morrissey, that guy from Blues Traveler and Alicia Silverstone all enjoying The Pretenders. The club where Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson came to see Hole (that's a weird one, right?) The club where Catherine Zeta Jones and some housewives from Virginia converged to swoon over Russell Crowe's 30 Odd Foot of Grunts. The club that clearly has afforded me a lifetime of name dropping, is now going to be franchised. Euw.

Apparently some guy who used to date Lindsay Lohan bought it. How sad, but fitting.

Another former talent buyer, Stacy Grenrock Woods recently wrote a memoir called I, California. A review called her time at The VR her "brief flirtation with fame." My friend Jackey, who followed, did get a mention in Elmore Leonard's Be Cool. However, I think flirtations with fame were a thing of the past by the time I joined up (unless you count really rare flirting with famous people).

Here I am in skinnier (and sluttier, apparently) times with my friend Tommi, who was the office manager and one of the prettiest girls I've ever known. The bartender in the background I once caught on Skinemax. That was pretty funny. To his credit he wasn't embarrassed at all when I told him.

Cheers to the old days,
Ms. P

photo by Christine Lozano

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Morrissey tried to get the guy from Blues Traveler to stop eating meat.

    Booker for the Viper Room? I can honestly say I've never had a job that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Popper had just gotten gastric-bypass surgery. I didn't even recognize him but he was very nice. Didn't he get arrested later for having like a militia's worth of guns in his car? Or was that someone else?

    Anyway, trust me, it probably sounds cooler than it actually was. :)

    ReplyDelete