Sunday, February 24, 2008

Academy Awards - Part 1

I can't tell if Stewart is doing well or bombing but he just scored with an 80 year old Oscar/Republican front runner joke.

Tom just said Jon Stewart is "better looking with age." So is Tom, for that matter.

First award - Costume Design - goes to Alexandra Byrne for Elizabeth: The Golden Age. So I guess this is the only part of the movie that didn't get panned.

George Clooney introduces a tearjerker montage of 80 years of Oscar. Jane Fonda's 80s hair, though... hilarious!

Best Animated Feature goes to Ratatouille. Brad Bird is officially the king of animation.

It's just one red dress after another around here...

Best Makeup goes to the team from La Vie en Rose. Rewarded for making Marion Cotillard not hot. Yes, that's a feat.

I'm watching Amy Adams sing "Happy Working Song." It's not quite the same without the pigeons and rats.

Achievement in Visual Effects' brings The Golden Compass its first (only?) win for the night. Those visual effects guys sure are sweetly exuberant...

As exuberant as Cate Blanchett is pregnant... CB presents the award for Art Direction to the Sweeney Todd peeps.

Hey, an acting award's about to be given out... Best Supporting Actor is woodenly presented by Jennifer Hudson to... Javier Bardem. I'm sad Hal Holbrook didn't win. Josh Brolin seems like a choad.

Hrm... here's Owen Wilson presenting Best Short Film to Les Mozart des Pickpockets.

Oh my freaking God, I thought we were free of Bee Movie!! Seriously? A montage of bees in film?? This was all a lead up to Best Animated Short. Peter and the Wolf won, but I want to see all of the nominees now. I saw some beautiful work in the brief clips.

Best Supporting Actress goes to Tilda Swinton who looks genuinely shocked, which makes sense, because probably everyone else is, too. Her speech is utterly bizarre, but totally hilarious and awesome.

James MacAvoy is cute.

Best Adapted Screenplay goes to (Sarah Polley, Sarah Polley, Sarah Polley...) Joel and Ethan Coen. Oh well.

Kristen Chenoweth might be kind of annoying, but damn, she has a great voice.

Okay, it's break time! Part 2 after the show...

6 comments:

  1. Jennifer Hudson was probably so stiff because she was realizing that this is probably the last time she'll be on an Oscar stage until there's some type of reunion. Also, her dress makes her look dumpy. Bad choice on that one Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen Dreamgirls yet, but I will as I'm generally a sucker for musicals.

    See, she was beautiful last year. You can dress well for just about any size and the girl's got curves to die for, but those girls need some support. And the cut-outs on the sides and back give the appearance of love-handles. Not good. With a better dress, she could look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww... but I agree. I didn't want to bag on the dress because I don't want to appear sizist or anything, but yech.

    Also, I didn't think she was that great in Dreamgirls. Only Eddie Murphy stood out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You can dress well for just about any size and the girl's got curves to die for."

    Women must love you! I mean that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, they love me, but in that "gay friend" way, yet I am not gay. Curses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I like you in that "Internet Friend" way. So, uh, you're still straight in that scenario. Is that better? Or weirder! Is weirder a word?

    ReplyDelete