Sunday, January 20, 2008

I Feel Sicko: Dan, Hillary, and McCain in Real Life

Things that happened this weekend:

I watched Michael Moore's Sicko. Boy, that was depressing. Unfortunately, every person I know that's dealt with socialized medicine never has anything good to say about it. However, I think insurance companies border on criminal in their handling of clients. I need to read up on Hillary's Universal Health Care Plan.

Speaking of Hillary, she won Nevada, which was either a surprise or her campaign made us think it was a surprise. The thrill of lowered expectations. McCain won South Carolina and that actually was a bit shocking, but Huckabee more or less had the wheels waving bye bye to the cart this week when he said the Constitution should be rewritten to reflect God's standards and compared homosexuality to bestiality. He's so awesome, that Huckabee. Not crazy at all.

I also had the displeasure of sitting through Dan in Real Life. What was Steve Carell thinking?! What was Juliette Binoche thinking?!! What were the producers thinking when they cast Dane Cook?!! I work in the music industry... I spend enough time with self-involved idiots, thanks. That he had an epiphany at the end of the film meant nothing to me. Too little too late, Dan.

In sports news, my first experience with the Australian Open has been quite gratifying, I must say. I've gradually progressed to watching all the slams (I used to be a Wimbledon only girl) and though it eats up hours and hours, it's a good time for tennis. I was awake until 5 am Friday night watching Roger Federer triumph over Janko Tipsarevic in a four and a half hour nail biter. Kudos to Tipsarevic, the Oakley wearing classic literature lover who has "Beauty will save the world" tattooed on his arm, for turning in an impressive performance. He might become my favorite Serb (which is tough considering there's a wealth of them right now, and they're all pretty excellent).

Speaking of 5 am, that's when the action ended in Australia. I couldn't believe things were still going at the Rod Laver Arena when I woke up Saturday morning. Lleyton Hewitt (bleah!) and Marcos Baghdatis (yeah!) didn't hit the court til after midnight. Hewitt eventually triumphed but not before MB put his usual heart into the match. Baghdatis came under scrutiny recently when video surfaced that showed him chanting "Turks out" at a barbecue. After reading up on Turkey's invasion of Cyprus, I might be chanting the same if I were him.

Tomorrow I'm off to Texas for two months. Fascinating reports from the Lone Star State heading your way ::snort::.

Drivin n Cryin,
Ms. P

2 comments:

  1. Man, I have to watch Sicko, I keep avoiding it since it's just going to make me mad and probably not tell me anything new. I gotta start reading more in depth on the candidates.

    Thanks for the tip on Dan...., glad to know that I can avoid that one.

    Reading the Diving Bell.... right now and it's fantastic, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re Diving Bell, isn't it amazing what can happen in the blink of an eye?! It's such a lovely book.

    ReplyDelete