Saturday, December 8, 2007

Swept Away by Mike Huckabee, Madonna & Shirtless Customer Service

We probably ought to stop talking about how affable Mike Huckabee is and start looking at what he actually says. He doesn't believe in evolution, thinks abortion is a holocaust, and new to light are his 1992 statements that AIDS patients should be isolated from the general public, and that homosexuality could ''pose a dangerous public health risk.'' I mean, remember the last time we elected the guy we wanted to have a beer with? That's all I'm sayin'.

I watched part of Guy Ritchie's snoozefest Swept Away this afternoon. Madonna was so harshly lit and looked so old and haggard that all I could think was Mr. R must really dislike his wife. We won't even talk about how crap the movie was. I did like the one scene where they sort of hover above the water and then float out of frame. Too bad she was wearing those ridiculous star shaped sunglasses with one lens missing. Rather distracting. And what was up with that ring her lover bought? It was worse than the one Aidan gave Carrie on Sex and the City! I would have gotten on the helicopter, too, Maddy, even if it meant an eternity with Bruce Greenwood.

Not too long ago I wrote a little rant about Apple's poor customer service and I'm baffled that more and more I keep running into businesses who would rather just pay you off or not give you service so you'll go away instead of actually rectifying the problem. I'll be the first person to admit that I can be particular (and clearly, from my Swept Away review, one might surmise that I'm a tad bitchy and one might not be wrong), but I tend not to think I'm crazy, off the rails irrational or anything like that.

I recently contacted an embroiderer and asked him to make a shirt for Tom. We spoke on the phone and he said he would come up with some design ideas and email them to me. I told him if I found anything I liked I would send it his way. Days went by and I heard nothing - and I was on a deadline as I was trying to get said shirt to T in time for his photo shoot tomorrow (which he knew about but said he could do it in time). Finally I emailed the guy and said obviously I'm not getting the shirt in time for the shoot, but is it possible to get it by Christmas? He writes me back and tells me he's been busy but doesn't bother to apologize for a) not fulfilling the order or b) not contacting me. I said I was a little irritated that he never bothered to tell me he couldn't do it in time and asked if the shirt would cost the same (I wasn't sure if he was charging me rush order prices for a Dec 7 delivery).

His reply: "lets just forget the whole thing, i dont want to irritate you further."

Wha??!!

I totally do not get this world sometimes. And look how upset Tom is that he's not getting his wizard shirt!!

Pffft,
Ms. P

8 comments:

  1. Well, he is a friend of a friend (which makes it worse, actually).

    You're right - that is a dilemma re the panderer vs the true believer. Both are equally repugnant. As an Illinois resident, what do you think of the Obama/Oprah campaigning?

    And I think you've hit on a great idea- instead of debates we should do presidential candidate Jeopardy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the Opra-bama (as some papers here are referring to it as) thing. I'm pretty sure I'd vote for him (as if he wasn't going to win the IL primary anyway), and I think he ultimately is more electable than Hillary, so I'm glad Oprah is supporting him. I think overall what Oprah is going to do is raise visibility of the whole election, bringing more women to the polls, which I think will be good for the Democrats. Hopefully she'll stay visible throughout the entire election cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought my first home. I picked out some Texas granite for the mantle. Long story short. They delivered the wrong granite. They said the granite can vary and the sample in my hand, cream speckled brown, was actually the same as they delievered - dalmation-y black! Compeltely at a loss, I stammered and stuttered. I swear to god, I heard the guy chuckle.

    I had the carpet cleaned, I called this place because the ad said "3 rooms - 99.99." I received a bill for 431.70. I said I was filing a letter with the Attorney General's Office and he said he'd do the same as I was clearly trying to scam him. Replaying this conversation in my head keeps me up nights.

    The total lack of honesty or accountability in my fair city of Austin has me floored and sickened. Don't get me started on politics. My heart, it can't take it. Huckabee though, that guy's a laugh riot. He'll support gay rights just as soon as "Moses comes down and breaks the tablets and rewrites the rules." The hell? We laugh to keep fro crying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting, anonymous. The embroiderer I'm talking about IS IN AUSTIN, TOO!!! Sheesh, says I. I'm sorry, obviously I know how frustrating this stuff is.

    Jason, when/if Hillary gets the nomination I hope Oprah will still encourage women - and everyone - to get out there and vote. It didn't work when P Diddy or whatever he's called now did it but I have more faith in the power of the O.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't say that. What is going on with this place?! I grew up here and then moved to LA for six years and then just moved "home" to Austin. This is not the Austin I remember...

    I hope your shirt guy was having a bad day. I hope he now realizes that he misplaced his snarkiness, carelessly aiming it at a friend of a friend. And he's been thinking about it and feels like he let you down and he is - right now - busily sewing you the most wonderous wizard shirt this world has ever seen. And he will have it delieverd in red satiny paper, packed in candy and confetti, with a short, funny, warm note. And with that glorious gesture, he will restore my faith in the arty Austiny humanitarian vibe I remember... I thought I remembered... I could have sworn...but can't seem to find right now...

    He'll show us all. A Christmas Miracle!
    Oof.. the paint fumes...

    My sister and I are now off to Kerby Lane for some gingerbread pancakes and chips n queso, because Kerby Lane - the original! always the original - is, if possible, even better than I remember...

    :) Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh Kerbey Lane! I went there before I got engaged and right after I got divorced! Ha!

    I lived in Austin from 88 - 96 before I moved to Los Angeles for eight years. I always swore I'd never move back but now I live there part time working for SXSW.

    I seriously doubt the ZZZ Thread man is working hard on my wizard shirt but I guess you never know.

    Welcome home, Ashley! I agree Austin is a far different animal than when I lived there. All that traffic! Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second the jackass about the embroider guy. Percy & I just looked at his shirts yesterday at Blue Genie thinking they were pretty darn cool. I've totally changed my mind now hearing your story. I'm going to start shopping for my own embroidery machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know how to do embroidery? I'll commission a shirt from you, then! :)

    ReplyDelete