Monday, December 10, 2007

The LP Questionnaire - Ellen Emerson White

Ellen Emerson White is a wicked amazing writer. I've talked about EEW a few times here and there. I've been reading her books since I was a teen, and she's on any top authors list I'll ever make.

Last week I was thrilled to return to the world of Meg Powers and her complicated, interesting, and super smart First Family. Published a month and a half ago, White's latest book Long May She Reign arrived 18 years after its predecessor Long Live the Queen (the currently out of print President's Daughter series will be reissued next spring by Feiwel & Friends). It was a long wait, but oh was it worth it! LMSR beautifully captures the reality, wit, sadness, struggles and grace of Meg, the first daughter of the first female president, as she navigates her way back from the trauma of her recent kidnapping and harrowing escape. Though the book is marketed to the YA audience, LMSR is at times dark, always thoughtful, and its themes mature. I confess I cringed when someone on Amazon called it chick lit for the book is so much more than shopping and man problems (in fact, I don't think anyone shops at all. The president and her communications director, Preston, are rather snappy dressers, though).

I don't think there's anything I can write that will do Long May She Reign the justice it deserves. All I can offer is that I didn't reach the end until 5 am and instead of rushing towards the finish line so I could get some sleep, I started reading more and more slowly because I so didn't want it to be over. It wasn't just teenage nostalgia that kept me going, either.

Anyhoo, I mentioned recently that I was fortunate enough to meet Ms. White on a recent trip to New York (you all know I was there to see the hubs while he worked on some record thingy that will be out next spring! Or early summer). She is just as groovy as any of her characters, and I feel super chuffed to know her.

She was gracious enough to do The LP Questionnaire, so please enjoy and please check out any of her books you can get your hands on. They're well worth the read.

The photo is one White took of her pooch Maggie.

Name: Ellen Emerson White
Pro Wrestling Name: Jesus Pirate. Which suits me, don't you think? If I drop my middle name, I am Ass Kickin Rock (Meg turns out to be Evil Hercules, although if I drop her middle name, she is Mighty Punisher).

1. Pretend you're 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your boyfriend/girlfriend (and tell us what year it is). What year it is? Never happen, GI. (Which dates me, in and of itself.) When I was 15, I probably would have picked The Eagles, "Hotel California," Steely Dan, "Peg," and The Rolling Stones, "Satisfaction."

2. Which evil villain would make the best President? The Mayor, on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Sunnydale actually ran quite well--and he seemed to do an excellent job of maintaining property values, despite the very high death rate in town.

3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Felix the Cat and Mighty Mouse. I very much wanted to be Mighty Mouse. Or Underdog.

4. What superpower do you wish you had? I would like to know everything. Of course, it would be pleasant to be invincible, also.

5. What would the title of your autobiography be? It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

1 comment:

  1. you haven't watched buffy have you linda? when you get back to louisville living i'm going to make you watch the whole series. "the mayor of sunnydale" is the best answer i've seen on the questionnaire so far.

    ReplyDelete