Sunday, November 4, 2007

Kanye West is the Sophie Kinsella of Hip Hop

I only have time for a quick one today, but I was driving home from breakfast (Toast was ok, not great, but I'm willing to give another try) and a post appeared in my head. I was listening to one of my new favorite songs, Timbaland's "The Way I Are" and though I don't listen to much hip hop at all (is that even hip hop? It sounds like dance/pop to me, but what do I know?), I'm always amused by the name checks in the songs. Recent examples inlcude OK Go and their treadmill video (Common), American Express (Timbaland) and Isotoner (Kanye West). Kanye drops designer names so often I feel like his songs are the rap version of the Shopaholic series. Maybe he can collaborate with Sophie Kinsella on her next installment. They can call it Shopaholic Goes to the MTV Awards.

Alright, time to pack too many things.

More from Austin,
Ms. P

ps. The pic is of Takashi Murakami's 2003 exhibit in Rockefeller Plaza. Kanye and I both heart him.

2 comments:

  1. I listen to a whole lot of hip-hop and 90 percent of it include a whole lot of brand-dropping. If only they knew they could get designer stuff on eBay for 1/4 of the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the only way I buy my Joe's, AG or Paige Premium jeans. I have a friend who makes a living selling designer goods. It's lucrative but spending all that time at Nordstrom Rack and Off 5th would make me tired.

    ReplyDelete