Saturday, November 3, 2007

They tried to make her go to Rehab, but she said "No, I'll go do SNL with The Rock instead"

I'm watching Saturday Night Live with my (I wish) pal Brian Williams. Barack Obama made a surprise appearance but the real surprise is that Amy Winehouse is performing next week. They're letting her in the country after they denied Lily Allen a visa? Interesting.

Speaking of girlish singers, tonight's musical guest is Feist, who is now torturing me with her ubiquitous hit "1, 2, 3, 4". I think I mentioned before how I probably would have loved this song were it not for the fact that I was subjected to it every five minutes for a month straight. It always annoys me when musicians take the opportunity to completely overdo television appearances by inviting a cast of thousands to join them onstage in one capacity or another. I'm having icky flashbacks to Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" video as her black-masked backup singers 'badap-ba-da-da" all over my TV. I feel sorry for, but am proud of that middle banjo player who said, "Screw this mask thing. They'll see me for who I really am!" Feist isn't bad but she's no Regina Spektor.

I was going to write about watching Galaxy Quest but now it's over and just a "nice memory" as Roger Federer likes to call "yesterday". However, as I recall the movie flopped and I don't really understand why. It had a great cast - a tolerable Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shaloub, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, Enrico Colantoni (I miss you Keith Mars!) and Jed Rees, who was one of three good things about Elizabethtown with his hilarious portrayal of Chuck "Lovin' Life 24/7" Hasboro (the other two being Paula Dean and Paul Schneider). It was funny. And it featured Justin Long in his first nerd role (I think, but am too tired to look it up).

Other things I feel like mentioning:

Jerry Crasnick at ESPN dug up a funny/strange George Bush quote regarding his lone vote against realignment and a new wild-card system in baseball back when he was the owner of the Texas Rangers (shout out to Sparky Lyle, yo!)...

Said 43: "I made my arguments and went down in flames. History will prove me right."

Is that eerie or what?! History is proving something, I'll say that much.

In other presidential news, Dick Cheney's not having a great time of it lately as he 1) fell asleep during a briefing about the California fires 2) went hunting with racists and 3) mistakenly called Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez the President of Peru. He did dress his dog up as Darth Vader for Halloween, though, and I kind of want to give him points for that.

There was a funny video mashup on, believe it or not, The McLaughlin Group of all the candidates ganging up on Hillary Clinton at the debate this week. I ask you, ladies, what do you think of The Politics of Pile On when it's directed towards a woman? Any differently? I do, but I feel kind of lame about it because she could probably kick their behinds.

Judge Roy Pearson, of the beyond frivolous $54 million missing pants lawsuit, has now lost not only his pants and his stupid lawsuit but his job, too. I'm torn on tort reform. I think there's a need, as evidenced by this, but fear that the real beneficiaries of it won't be small business owners like the Chungs but huge corporations who won't have to pay out the big bucks when they really muck things up.

The Gap is going "Sweatshop Free" after reports surfaced that a subcontractor in India had 1o-year olds making their clothes. I'm relieved about this as I don't really shop anywhere else besides H&M. Also, this could mark a new generation of reform in overseas child labor laws and wouldn't that be great? Let's hope it's real and not PR.

Senator Larry Craig's Administrative Director, Pat Olsen, kept the train of mockery going full steam this week when she sent out an email about a lost watch they found in the men's bathroom. Did she really not know how that one would play out? Ugh. I almost feel sorry for them at this point.

Okay, must go to sleep before 5 am as I'm having breakfast at Toast on Market tomorrow morning! Then I'm off to Austin for a week of work as planning for South by Southwest begins in earnest. I'm looking forward to seeing all my Texas friends and, err, you know, looking forward to :cough: working... too.

My boss reads this so I probably look like a total jerk now. Heh heh.

Lights out, uh huh
Ms. P

ps. Don't forget to turn your clocks back at 2! Or in the morning. If you turn your clock back at 2, when the change happens, do you go back in time? What happens to the time-space continuum??!!!! Nothing, you say? Oh. Drat.

4 comments:

  1. First, best blog headline ever!

    I really wanted to see SNL last night and fell asleep. What happened to the days when I'd watch some of it and then go out and drink until 4 a.m.? Sigh.

    Mmmmm... Toast on Market, lemon souffle pancakes.

    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd known that before I went!

    I can't imagine being out til 4 am. I can't even imagine being out past midnight. Pathetic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It actually doesn't bother me at all when they gang up on Hillary, because it's really only because she's a credible candidate. But, when she starts acting as though they're big meanies--I get nervous.

    Ellen (EEW)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. It was the wrong move. I wish she'd been more like, "Sure they took their shots, but I kept standing just like I have been for the last 15 years."

    ReplyDelete