Wednesday, September 26, 2007

See If Anyone Fits the Bill

I guess this marks the first week of full on Fall TV fun! Oh boy!

For your reading pleasure, a few random recaps:

America's Next Top Model
After showing cycle after cycle of models puffing away, this year ANTM is a smoke-free zone because Tyra don't want the girlies being bad role models for future generations of impressionable young ANTM wannabes. The first photo shoot of the season centers around how smoking is nasty, and the models are made up as cancer patients with bald heads, facial tumors or hair falling out and in one particularly gruesome moment of bad taste as the girl who smoked while pregnant and had a stillborn child (complete with fake dead baby). Now that is a fashion statement!

I still like the Indiana Asperger's girl even if she is a bit awkward - perhaps especially because she's a bit awkward. I find it strange that they had a shot of all the black girls laughing at her while the white girls were portrayed as finding her odd but trying to understand. I also like the Yalie and the exotic dancer. I do not like Bianca the biyaatch who yelled at her, "You think America's next top model is going to be a stripper? Give up and go home." I say, "You think America's next top model is going to be a skanky mean girl with a bad weave? Give up and go home."

All the drama was followed by the girls getting ridiculously excited about a trip to Old Navy. Maybe they heard that Todd Oldham was named Creative Director.

The show ended with Mila getting the boot and good riddance. She seemed like a nice enough girl, but I have no idea how she made it into the house to begin with. Especially over the nice girl from Alaska who had the troubled past.

Reaper
Slacker and his abrasive chubby friend make semi-lovable duo. Haven't seen that one before, (okay, I haven't seen it where the slacker's parents sold his soul to the devil, but still)! Oooh, the chubby friend is mean to animals (and has apparently seen every Jack Black movie). Nice. I'm not sure I get the appeal of this show (nor do I get why my friend Cherie thinks Bret Harrison, who plays Sam, is cute), but Ray Wise sparkles as the Devil and I'm considering joining the dark side now. Or is the dark side only for Star Wars?

I do love how Dolores Herbig and her big brown eyes have shown up in both series featuring reapers. Only fans of Dead Like Me will appreciate that joke.

I am slightly annoyed that we now have two shows centered around lovable dorks who work at generic superstores. Who will win the battle? Reaper or Chuck? Or will both emerge victorious?

Criminal Minds
I'm not sure I like where they're headed with Mandy Patinkin's send off but considering how he screwed the show, perhaps it's only fitting. Matthew Gray Gubler is still cute as Dr. Spencer Reed, the youngest most adorable genius ever, and I remain impressed with Thomas Gibson. (I mean, Dharma & Greg? Yech.) The murders kind of freaked me out but the resolution was weak. I hope things improve and that Hotch doesn't get canned.

And finally, in the real world...
I need a Manolo Blahnik Fairy. I've heard nice things about Renee Zellweger which make me feel bad every time I cringe at her scrunched up face. It's kind of groovy when stars are weirdly altruistic (and Paris and Avril's bs publicity stunts don't count)!

Donald Trump called Dan Rather a loser on CNN. First Rosie, now Dan... who will he set his sights on next? And why should we care?

The Judge in the Phil Spector murder case declared a mistrial. I guess my advice to anyone who wants to commit murder is move to Hollywood and become a washed up celebrity. I mean seriously... first OJ, then Robert Blake, now this? I guess it's true when they say bad things come in threes.

Til tomorrow (wait, it is tomorrow!)
Ms. P

1 comment:

  1. 2 dudes in big box stores still isn't as bad as 2 immortal detectives or 2 karaoke shows or 2 interior design competitions or 3 cooking competitions. tv executives have no imagination.
    and dan rather may be a loser, but only because he was playing himself on dirty sexy money last night.

    ReplyDelete