Friday, September 21, 2007

Off Topic - The Gary Baseman Rant

I actually hate to do this because I want to be supportive of local organizations, especially ones that bring internationally known artists to Louisville.

That said... organization brings to mind the word organized and to the Louisville Graphic Design Association, I suggest you look up the meaning. I'll even send you a dictionary if you want.

Last night, I was excited to hear Gary Baseman lecture on his art and life and thought it rather neat that it was held at 21c, a gallery I really respect for bringing interesting modern art to the ville. I was not, however, excited that it went on for over two hours when the only thing provided was a cash bar. Nor was I particularly thrilled to hear about one questioner's OCD and Irritable Bowel Syndrome when she asked if his art represented clowns and intestines, but that's just me.

And here is why I need to bitch:

1. NOWHERE - not on the LGDA or 21c websites, in their press release or flyer for the lecture, or in the Velocity listings was the price ($15 per person for non-members) listed. This is not cheap. Some advance warning might have been nice especially since they weren't prepared to take credit cards and we were told we could go to an ATM when I asked.

2. If I'm going to pay $15 for a lecture I don't expect to spend 15 minutes watching someone futz around with a computer and repeatedly force quit Powerpoint (all of this fumbling was projected on the wall for us to see) while trying to get the slide show to load. They couldn't have taken, oh say, ten minutes to figure this out beforehand? It didn't help that the woman was calling out to the audience for help and drinking the entire time.

3. If you're going to have major technical difficulties, why not turn the freaking lights back up? While the Powerpoint panic was going on Baseman stood in near darkness talking to us. It might have been nice to see him.

4. The audience. I assume a lot of you paid, too. So why did you take this opportunity to get sauced (at 7 pm?) and talk through the entire thing? Seriously, the people behind me laughed like idiots whenever a slide came up that featured anything of a naked or sexual nature and they kept chatting away like we were at a dinner party at their house. Maybe they live at the 21c and it's my bad? But they weren't the only offenders.

5. The 21c. You couldn't have silenced that really annoying singing chandelier? Every time it went off, which was often, I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Baseman started his lecture by telling us that Louisville has a rep. So, thanks for living up to it. Or down to it, I should say. It irks me that I'm probably going to come off like some LA snob (when he mentioned Dominic's it made me long for my old home) when all I really want in this world are some manners and a bit of professionalism.

Okay. Rant over. Final Fall TV post headed your way shortly.

Pffft,
Ms. P

ps. Gary Baseman is a really interesting artist and person and even though it was a bit of a bust, I am glad I had the opportunity to hear him speak which I wouldn't have if it weren't for the LGDA. Also, I'm happy my friend won the bag!

3 comments:

  1. i too was in attendance last night and totally agree. if it weren't for the LGDA we wouldn't have had this kind of opportunity, but it was poorly organized. and was it just me or did the bearded, long haired dude creep you out too? i was like, come on chief, please shut the f*** up & go back to your herd of hirsute indie brethren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bearded, long haired dude? which one? that was like a third of the audience. the middle aged art crowd is one of the most annoying groups of people in existence (especially after they've knocked back a few). i hope i never turn into that. i don't know how my artist friends put up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh come on! Suggesting to Baseman that he name the rabbit in his paintings "Jessica"?! That's totally original.

    ReplyDelete