Sunday, September 23, 2007

Minor Musings

Why is MTV even called Music Television anymore? It's become the strange dumping ground for previously aired reality shows (It's how I see all the old America's Next Top Model cycles and they had an entire season's marathon of So You Think You Can Dance this weekend). I remember when I was 13 and my mother wouldn't get cable (thereby stunting my growth as a human being), and I had to resort to hanging out at friends' houses so I could watch the virtual loop of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (creepy yet fascinating), "Hungry Like the Wolf" (Duran Duran were the first loves of my life), "Every Breath You Take" (I thought Stewart and Andy were way cuter than Stink), and that one song by Asia. There was a lot of "Owner of a Lonely Heart", Journey and Michael Jackson in there, too. This is an eclectic list, looking back on it. Recently, Justin Timberlake implored MTV to go back to playing videos again and to stop it with the Simpsons (I had to explain to Tom that he meant Jessica and Ashlee, not Homer and Marge). I wish they would, too, but only if they'd go back to 1983.

On the other hand, I don't care if VH-1 plays videos because they showed crappy stuff, anyway, and I'm perfectly happy with my Rock of Love. Next week is the finale and the preview on today's clip show had Bret asking Heather and Jes if they would both be his girlfriend. Blech. My money's on Heather for sure because I know my beloved Jes would never agree to such a thing. The clip show was a bit disturbing as I was perfectly fine living a life free of Rodeo's flatulence, Heather and Brandi C's narcissistic smooching and Bret's various weaves (does he really think he's fooling us??!) Still, I'll be a bit sad when the band of skanks departs the airwaves but happy that my Reality TV viewing is on the decline.

Speaking of Reality TV, Tim Gunn's Guide to Style is getting better but not much. Trolling through the underwear drawers of the contestants is a bit cheap and the OptiTex demonstrations are still horrid. I will again make my desperate plea for the return of Project Runway, a show I heart so much it made it into my wedding vows (which was actually a surprise), and before you start thinking Tom and I are really dopey or something, it was a joke. Thanks, George :).

Moving on... to MoveOn... Every single politishow I watched this weekend talked about MoveOn.org's General Betray Us advertisement. Stunts like that seem kind of ill-conceived as that kind of message only preaches to the choir, don't you think?

For some reason this montage of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton laughing at Fox News' Chris Wallace cracked me up.

This, however, did not crack me up. Why am I not surprised that Evangelicals are the least likely to recycle? They (supposedly) have someplace better to go when it all goes to poo here. My mom recycles, though. Probably trying to leave the world a better place since I'll be stuck here after she gets all raptured and stuff.

Has anyone else caught any of Alan Greenspan's numerous appearances this week? I enjoyed hearing about how he lured Andrea Mitchell back to his apartment on their first date with the promise of an essay on anti-trust monopolies, and they've been together ever since! Greenspan has a new book out that's quite critical of Bush. My problem with this is that these people keep speaking truth to power when they no longer have it. Greenspan said that Clinton and Nixon were the smartest presidents he worked for. Interesting, isn't it, that the two most intelligent presidents were also the two most plagued by scandal?

Okay, time to pay attention to Brian Griffin as Chewbacca on the season premiere of Family Guy. Of course Stewie is Darth Vader.

Stop that ship! Blast 'em!
Ms. P

ps. This picture of Yoda was taken at last year's Wizard World. Have you ever been? Some fascinating, err, people at the ol' WW. Also, if I see this Feist iPod commercial one more time I'm going to scream. Just when I was ready to like her she had to go all ubiquitous on me.

2 comments:

  1. I disagree on one point -- Clinton was only "scandal-plagued" because the Republicans managed to convince everyone that having an affair was akin to, say, breaking into your opponent's campaign office or, say, starting a war under false pretenses. Or, say, selling missiles to your sworn enemy (Iran-Contra). In the grand scheme of things, does anyone truly believe La Affaire Lewinsky is going to hold up as one of the top political scandals of all time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not saying he was scandal plagued and deserved it just that he was scandal plagued and intelligent. However, I do think Lewinsky will hold up as one of the top scandals simply because of the impeachment trial.

    Do I wish he'd been an honest man and just admitted his affair so we all wouldn't have suffered the indignity that followed? Absolutely. Do I think the witch hunt was justified or makes sense? Absolutely not.

    ReplyDelete