Saturday, September 22, 2007

Doing the (Book) Worm

I've been meaning to write about books for a bit and I'm finding myself lacking in wit today so why not discuss other people's writing instead of smacking ya upside the head with mine? I just realized that all rhymed in a really dorky way (which means it stays, oh God I did it again!)

Here are some favorites of mine (in no particular order):

1. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I read this in the summer of '91 when I was in Germany (it was one of the only books in English at my friend's apartment). Owen and his thoughtful high-pitched voice still echo in my head. I didn't bother to see Simon Birch, though, because Irving painted such a wonderful picture of all the characters, and I worried any cinematic imaginings would have ruined it.

2. The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera. Also from the summer of '91, this time London. Kundera has a way of making every day life and the political struggles of Eastern Europe seem so fantastical. I went around saying "I'm Bobby Fischer!" for quite a while after reading this, though I probably just said it in my head... and either way that's perhaps a bit weird. Kundera also wrote another favorite of mine, Immortality (read in Alaska in the winter of '02).

3. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. These are the best fantasy books I've read, though admittedly, I'm hardly an expert. Marketed as Harry Potter for adults or something equally stupid, The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass take us through multiple worlds and the coming of age of Lyra Belacqua and her daemon Pantalaimon. The books have been a source of controversy due to their criticism of Christianity and the Catholic church. One of Pullman's characters states that "the Christian religion... is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all." The movie might also be a mistake but I'm hoping it can live up to even a fraction of the magic.

4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Read on tour (I think it was the My Morning Jacket/Doves tour in 2002), Perks is a bit of a modern Catcher in the Rye but I found Charlie so much more endearing and sympathetic than Holden Caufield. The book brings back all of the joy and torment and emotional longing of being a teenager in a way that's not trite or overdone. I think a few of us read it in the van that fall and it was just a magical time all around (or that's how I experienced it, anyway).

5. Life Without Friends by Ellen Emerson White. I've mentioned White a couple times since I started writing this blog. I've been lucky enough to correspond with her a bit through her website and it's been very cool to connect with someone who had a profound effect on the ol' teen years (more exciting, even, than John Taylor from Duran Duran sending me flowers. Yes, it's true). White writes with a grace and humor that transcends the "young adult fiction" tag, and all of her characters are so darn intelligent and polite! Her new book, Long May She Reign, comes out on October 30. It's my most anticipated book of the year.

6. About a Boy by Nick Hornby. Both a better book and film than High Fidelity, I think this was Hornby's strongest effort. Follow Will and Marcus as they learn about life and each other! I bet you'll never read it now after that tacky synopsis. But seriously, About a Boy is English reserve and neurosis at its charming best.

Other favorites... I'm a big mystery fan and have read every book written by Robert Crais, Harlan Coben and Robert B. Parker. I also love the Jeeves series by P.G. Wodehouse (because as we've established, I love the Brits.) I read She's come Undone by Wally Lamb in one day and was amazed. The Secret History by Donna Tartt was interesting if not entirely likable (I developed a bit of a crush on Henry that pushed me through).

I must confess the classics tend to bore me (I have an affinity for Shakespeare but Hemingway makes me gag), and I read a lot of trash (Hello Jackie Collins!) but no matter what the genre, finishing a book is way more satisfying than finishing any TV show, which sounds so snooty, but it's true!

I'd like to include bookiness on a regular basis so I will save my chick-lit rant for another day.

What are some of your favorites? I'm always looking for something new, even though my "to read" list is about a mile long.

Hope your Saturday's swell,
Ms. P

ps. This picture is of an installation and exhibit that was at the 21c. Sadly, they're no longer there.

7 comments:

  1. I'm both excited and worried about the His Dark Materials movie too. For some reason I am especially worried about the presentation of Dust...I hope it isn't turned into some Disney-fied, fairy type thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... Good point. I hope it's not gold or animated or something. I was very excited when I saw the first stills for the film but the trailers haven't impressed me that much. However, I think the cast is really good and I like Chris Weitz so I'm hopeful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, hopefully the problem with the trailers is just that they don't appear to have added the daemons in yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm more afraid of the daemon depiction than dust. What if they're bad cgi? That said, Iorek Byrnison looks pretty rad so maybe they'll be awesome. After I read the books I walked around for days wishing I had one, too. Heck, I still wish they were real! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. About a Boy better than High Fideility? I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

    High Fidleity, more than any other book I've ever read, is tuned into how men actually think. Really, guys should give it to their girlfriends and tell them to use it as an owner's manual.

    It also helps that I was living in London when I had read the book, and living in Chicago when the movie was released, so I felt like they were talking specifically to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I respect your position, sir. Perhaps you'll agree that About a Boy would appeal more to one's feminine side? Now I'll get a bunch of gals disagreeing with me.

    Don't get me wrong, I love Hornby and loved High Fidelity, both the book and the film (was it the last time John Cusack was kind of hot? Or was that Grosse Pointe Blank?), but for some reason I was more charmed by AAB. Maybe it's just my weakness for Hugh Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My top ten book list is annotated so I'll just post my top 5, sans annotations.
    1. Harry Potter series (of course)
    2. Anne Rice's Vampire series
    3.The Sleeping Beauty series by Anne rice (scandalous!
    4. Daughter of the Forest series, (notice a theme here?)Julliete Marillier
    5. Crime and Punishment, Dostoyevsky (I love saying his name)

    ReplyDelete