Friday, September 28, 2007

Dog Day Afternoon

I was going to write a post tonight after watching the Moonlight and Numb3rs premieres but I'll wait since it will give me some material for tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm sititing here at my desk having a perfect Friday afternoon: the dog's asleep on her little stuffed bone pillow, the cat is curled up in my lap, and I'm listening to a strange mix including Led Zeppelin, Remy Zero, Andrea Bocelli and Polara (to name a few). Just minutes ago I heard "Moon River", Blair from Gossip Girl's favorite song (she has a huge Breakfast at Tiffany's/Audrey Hepburn fixation), and thought, hey, I can write about episode two of everyone's new favorite guilty pleasure.

Blake Lively doesn't quite make it as Serena van der Woodsen for me. The character in the books is described as the most ethereal, charismatic, undeniable beauty the world has ever seen. Of course this person doesn't exist in real life and once I get used to the series and can separate it from the books, maybe she'll seem more believable. I hope so, anyway, because I do like Lively as an actress (she was great in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants). Leighton Meester's Blair is far more bitchy and Ed Westwick's Chuck far more despicable (and ridiculous but not in a funny way). Penn Badgley's Dan isn't quite as tortured and sister Jenny is far more attractive (I can't believe it's Cindy Lou Who all grown up). The parents are annoying but I confess I like Rufus better as a semi-sad sack aging rock star. It will be interesting to see Jessica Szohr's Vanessa once she turns up. I'm assuming she won't be bald, though, which is a bit disappointing.

Okay, since I can only indulge my vapid side so much, let's move on to some news type items...

The Kentucky Democratic Party filed a complaint alleging that the Republican Governors Association violated state law in that tacky advertising campaign I keep griping about. From the Courier-Journal : The complaint was filed this week with the Kentucky Registry of Election Finance. It claims the association accepted contributions greater than the $1,500 allowed by law for some political groups, illegally coordinated its efforts with the campaign of Gov. Ernie Fletcher regarding the ads and failed to register as a campaign committee in Kentucky.

I know I make a lot of snarky comments, but I am really tired of the hate speech from both sides. However, I guess attitude reflects leadership, as the wise Julius said. And that's Campbell, not Caesar. Remember the Titans, not Shakespeare.

So, Mitch McConnell, even though I think you're a jerk, I take back calling you a pasty-faced robotic white dude. Or whatever it was I said.

Take a nostalgic trip back in time with past political commercials courtesy of The Living Room Candidate. I especially enjoyed Adlai Stevenson's "I love the Gov" ad. "Didn't know much about him before he came, but now my heart's a ballot that bears his name." What a snappy song!

I was going to mention the Hardee's/Carl's Jr deal with PETA to buy eggs and pork from suppliers who don't keep animals in cages or crates but you'll probably be more interested in animal rights if they come via a naked Alicia Silverstone.

Back to the salt mines,
Ms. P

No comments:

Post a Comment