Saturday, September 29, 2007

Moonlight by Numb3rs

It's Saturday afternoon and I'm on the couch watching The Pirate Movie. Does anyone else remember this little gem? Perhaps "gem" is stretching it but I admit, I had the soundtrack when I was a kid. Who can forget Christopher Atkins and Kristy McNichol in the pirate-musical-rom-com? Probably everyone except me. I used to think KM was so cool. I wanted to be a tomboy like Buddy (which is going even further back, if anyone remembers the show Family).

So, who watched the season premieres of Moonlight and Numb3rs? I did and I'm not sure I'm a better person for it, really.

Moonlight disappointed me, I'm afraid to say. Alex O'Loughlin is a fairly charismatic lead (even if he has man boobs that I'm a bit disturbed wardrobe chose to accentuate at every turn), but Sophia Myles, as Tom said, "dragged the whole show down." I'm not sure if it's because she was concentrating too hard on sounding American (she's English and was Isolde in Tristan & Isolde) or if she's just a bad actress or if it's just that the script was so weak. Take your pick. Even Jason Dohring was unsufferable as private detective Mick St. John's best friend. His speed-talking hey-look-at-me-I'm-a-rich-and-powerful-vampire delivery was embarrassing to watch. Oh Logan, please come back, I say! The crime solving vampire premise has been done before (see: Angel) but I couldn't get into David Boreanz. And I don't think I'll be getting into Moonlight, either, but it will get a second chance (unlike Bionic Woman).

I've been watching Numb3rs since the very beginning and frankly, I'm the only person I know who does. I'm a little sad to see that Rob Morrow's tidily rolled up sleeves are gone this season in favor of knit polos and what looks like a 20 pound weight gain. I'm also not quite sure about David Krumholtz's new hairdo and George Michael-esque stubble. My favorite character on the show is Diane Farr's FBI Agent Megan Reeves. She's come a long way from Loveline. Val Kilmer, who also gained 20 pounds, plays the torturous double agent Mason Lancer (or was he a triple agent?) in a season opener that answers the question of what was really going on with Dylan Bruno's Agent Colby Granger. Filmmaker Tony Scott (wow, I just read he's directing the Warriors remake), who along with his brother Ridley is an executive producer on the show, directed this episode. While I'm sure that brought in some viewers, I wonder if they'll stay. I know I'm still hooked but it might only be because I'm a goober who has nothing else to do on a Friday night. Although, really, who can resist Peter MacNicol?!

In other TV news, The Sarah Silverman Program starts this Wednesday. I definitely won't be watching because Silverman's "I say doody" appeal eludes me. As my internet pal Jason Urbanciz observed, "Yeah, I don't really get her. Is she supposed to be funny since she's hot and is a bitch? Dude, I had enough of those in High School."

I will be watching the return of Nip/Tuck, though. It's a ways away (Oct 30) but FX has been running those awful "Wicked Game" promos for a while now. I gave up on Christian and Sean last year because watching Dr. Troy have a three-way with a mother and daughter was just a bit much, but I'm intrigued by the move to the City of Angels. Also, John Schneider and Daphne Zuniga guest star this season. I would have preferred Tom Wopat and Laura Leighton, come to think of it.

Alright, I must return my attention to the fabulous Pirate Movie. Is anyone else out there going to see Follow the Train and VHS or Beta at Headliner's tonight? This is the first show I've been to in Louisville in almost a year.

Give me a happy ending,
Ms. P

ps. Politics tomorrow and don't forget, on Monday I'm starting my feature "The LP Questionnaire". Next week is dedicated to all five members of My Morning Jacket (with the following to the men behind MMJ), and I have some other musical luminaries including Wax Fang, Ira Elliott from Nada Surf (they have a show coming up, October 17 at Jim Porter's Emporium) and Jimi Goodwin from doves. Don't miss the fun, fun, fun.

3 comments:

  1. hey linda,
    jamie miller sent me the link to your blog and i've really been enjoying it. but now i think i love it - the pirate movie??!!! that was my absolute favorite movie when i was a kid. i was in love with christopher atkins and can still sing all the songs from memory (i too had the soundtrack). i even watched dallas when he joined the cast just to see him with straight hair (which i hated - the new hair that is).
    i think i have to rent it now...thanks!
    katie king from sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher Atkins with straight hair, huh? I'm sure I saw that because I watched every season of Dallas but I must have repressed the memory.

    Those Pirate Movie songs are really catchy. Even today. :)

    Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i finally got around to watching moonlight. it was absolutely one of the worst shows i've ever seen (and this is coming from someone who watched cavemen last night). jason dohring was the only redeeming thing about it for me. it didn't start off all that bad, but it was a pretty blatant "angel" ripoff minus the interesting plot lines and clever dialogue (the blond girl even looks like elisabeth rohm). and at first i just thought, "maybe with a different lead actor..." but once they started getting into the actual vampire stuff, with the changing faces and the running and the jumping and the bad cgi...ugh. it nearly made me sick. somewhere in los angeles joss whedon is rolling over in his grave. (because he died when he found out someone stole his idea and got it back on network television.)

    ReplyDelete