Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Song For A Day - Thank You Too



Okay, I'm going to come right out and say that this is not one of my favorite My Morning Jacket songs (not by a lot, actually), but I'm in a time crunch and figured you might like this better than being subjected to Abba's "Thank You For The Music" or Dido's "Thank You" or even John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy."

Anyway, tomorrow is Thanksgiving so I thought I'd write about Thanksgiving 1987, the Thanksgiving where I was homeless but not helpless as my good friend at the time Laura (whose last name I can't remember, my memory is beyond pathetic at this point) picked me up and took me to her house where we had Stouffer's French Bread Pizza and Vodka for dinner. It was one of the best Turkey Day's ever.

Later, she was also part of another significant event in my life when she got spit on for hanging out with me, a Korean, by two skinheads outside Theatre Gallery in Dallas. Poor girl... being friends with me was perilous in the 80s. It was the only time I've ever been called a "fish faced gook," but not the only time I've had "fish" or "gook" slurs sent my way. But I digress...

I've been pretty drunk on nostalgia lately, having gone through another round of finding all kinds of high school friends on Facebook so I finally decided to go public on le FB. You can find me here. I'm also on Twitter @mspark.

I'm thankful this year that I've finally started honoring my past... something long forgotten, now sort of cherished. What are you grateful about as we head into the holiday season? I'm sure there must be something, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment