Friday, November 13, 2009

Song For A Day - Shapes of Things



So, I just got home from seeing Pirate Radio. For some reason Tom and I only go see middle aged man movies nowadays. We're on quite a roll going from The Informant! (horrible) to Men Who Stare at Goats (only slightly less horrible) to this. Quite often we're the youngest ones in the theatre, and I'm not that young.

I am young enough, though, to have gone through a big ol' 60s phase (at age 15) culminating in the worship of Jim Morrison and tears shed at the end of The Song Remains the Same.

I had some hope for Pirate Radio as Richard Curtis is one of my writing heroes and I was only slightly disappointed. For some reason, it felt a bit surface and there were way too many "people sitting on the toilet while listening to The Who" scenes for me, but there's a sweet innocence to everything Curtis does.

Anyhoo, thought I'd dedicate this Song For A Day to one of the hits of 1966, the year the film took place, the Yardbirds' "Shapes of Things." That Jimmy Page sure was dreamy.

I have a real affinity for any movie that portrays people's love of music. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Almost Famous. Through these stories I get to re-capture the joy I feel when some song takes over my consciousness.

There's no greater way to lose yourself... there's no greater way to find yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment