Thursday, August 13, 2009

Rediscovering Old Loves - Driver 8



It's like "Two for Tuesday" around here... only it's not Tuesday... err, anyway.

You might wonder how I decide what songs to feature, and let me tell you it's a very complex scientific process that consists of me futzing around on Facebook and/or Twitter while listening to the musics. Occasionally I'm struck by something resembling inspiration and I type out a few sentences, gushing like a burst dam, and then I slink away quietly, returning to my time wasting efforts.

I decided earlier today to write about "Driver 8" by R.E.M. but who knew I would find such an excellent YouTube version to post. I don't know who those two girls are but they are AWESOME SAUCE! I totally want to go back to the 80s and hang out with them.

It took me a while to warm to the siren call of Michael Stipe because in the mid 80s if you weren't English, sullen, pale and dreamy I really had no use for you. Australian bands could fake their way into my heart, but if you were from Athens, GA, bah! Away with you at once. I don't follow R.E.M. much anymore, but you can't deny they've written some of the most memorable songs and goodness, they do kick ass live (even if you're standing amongst hundreds of thousands of drunk Scandinavians, all the way in the back, they'll reach you).

So... enjoy this long play of the vid on this hot summer day. I just bought Wii Resort so I'm going to go make a fool of myself in the living room.

I don't know if anyone actually reads this stuff but if you do, what are some of your favorite songs to rediscover?

3 comments:

  1. I forgot how much I like this song until you posted it. When you get up into the "more than one month of continuous play if you turned on iTunes and let it go" you start to lose track of some really great stuff.

    As for stuff I've rediscovered lately, I've been on a Wilco kick after getting their new album for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.E.M. opened the North American leg of the Green tour at Louisville Gardens in 1989. Best concert I've ever seen.

    I also saw them twice on the Monster tour. Both good shows, but not quite as good as the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love The Cure. I always forget how much I liked them, then I turn on an oldies station (yes it's now considered oldies) and I hear them and wow.

    ReplyDelete