Friday, July 31, 2009

But You Know Evil Is An Exact Science



When Chuck Klosterman's article on archenemies vs nemeses first came out, a friend and I tried to figure out where his at the time rival landed on this scale. Thinking back, I think nemesis is the correct answer.

Yesterday, I tweeted about how my nemesis was finally out of my life, but then I got to thinking... maybe she was really my archenemy. After re-reading Klosterman's theory, I've concluded yes, definitely archenemy.

I'm not sure how it came to be that this person, Evil as we nicknamed her, ended up claiming the top prize in the wasting my time with anger sweepstakes. I remember when I realized that she was a superficial self-involved wench (well, I sort of do... it was at the David Grey show... or The Afghan Whigs... either way it was at The Palace in LA). I remember when she called me up to emphatically state that she and a male friend of mine were "TOGETHER"... like... get it... stay away... She went on to work with other pals and proceeded to take credit for their ideas on a regular basis.

I'll confess that jealousy is involved, as is the case with any arch enemy (or nemesis). She could be charming and she was certainly never short on suitors or lingerie masquerading as clothing.

I thought I'd left her behind for the most part when I left The Viper Room but no, there she was at all the My Morning Jacket shows. She finally ended up working for a company indirectly related to the band so once again she was all up in my psyche... lurking away. However, now I hear she's gone. I was relieved to hear this, I admit, and with that relief comes a sense of wishing her well in the world. A hope that she's grown up a bit as I hope I have.

So, that is the tale of me and my archenemy. There are other thorns in my side, to be sure... but none, for some reason, claimed such a spot in my heart as the scantily clad Evil Beaver.

In honor of the archenemy vs nemesis debate, I'm including Shriekback's video for their song "Nemesis." An old fave, to be sure... we are no monsters... we're moral people.

No comments:

Post a Comment