Friday, April 3, 2009

Oh the Irony - Gay Marriage Mark Twain Edition

I spend a lot of time being a California snob in regards to America's heartland and, I admit it, Kentucky.

However, that all stops today!

Same sex couples in Iowa will be allowed to marry from April 24 as the state Supreme Court unanimously decided to legalize gay marriage today. Yes, it's true, gay couples in Iowa can get married, but they can't in California... thus the irony.

In other great news, Senate Bill 68 died in the 2009 Kentucky legislative session without a single vote on the floor. Though I suspect this may be due more to the fact that the bill included hetero unmarried couples that want to foster/adopt children, I'm still going to say, "HUZZAH!"

Just this week I emailed a friend about how I skip Iowa when Monchhichi's on tour, and I tweeted about a mom bringing her four year old kid to see The Watchmen and, you know, welcome back to Kentucky when really... okay, so I may not be going to Iowa anytime soon, I know that there are idiots everywhere (not just here), and I'm probably often one of them.

Earlier today a woman called Terri commented on my blog so I clicked through to one of hers, Barefoot and Progressive, which features this Mark Twain quote: "I want to be in Kentucky when the end of the world comes, because it's always 20 years behind." Now generally I say ten, but it got me thinking...

Thinking about what a self-centered nitwit I am, actually. Since I moved here I've felt like Kentucky needs to change, and I've often lamented the lack of diversity. However, it's up to me to change, isn't it? I moved here, I've met awesome people, I'm the jerkface for thinking Kentucky should be anything other than what it is.

So, I'm going to live here in our SB 68-less world and be glad of it. The traffic in LA sucks now, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'll always be from Texas... but I will stop scowling when I say I live in Kentucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri is a righteous broad. Barefoot and Progressive is one of my favorite blogs. Oh, and long live Iowa!

    ReplyDelete