Sunday, February 22, 2009

Duke Energy - Remembering Melissa Duke


As I write this, my friend Melissa is being eulogized hundreds of miles away in Nashville.

It's been four days, and I still can't believe she's passed, though it's setting in, that truth. Never in a million years did I ever imagine that she, so full of life, would be gone at the age of 41... but fate is strange, right?

I took this picture back in 2003 while on tour to send to her. If anything epitomized Melissa Duke, it was energy. A self-proclaimed "whirling dervish," she was, at the time of her passing, working on an ABC's of Rock book, raising two kids, and working on press junkets for films. When I met her she was a publicist at a major studio, a burlesque dancer with Velvet Hammer, and the singer in a band. She accomplished more in the nine years I knew her than most will in a lifetime and all with an easy smile, bright laugh and spirited grace.

Though I confess to being a little weirded out by the Facebooking of one's death, Melissa had 493 FB friends and I think every single one of them left a comment on how much she meant to them. It's great to see that she was as loved as the big love she doled out on a regular basis.

I may never understand why someone like Duke had to go so early. Perhaps her generous nature was needed somewhere else in the universe, but it's hard to comprehend her having to leave Mooney, Nola and Lu behind.

In two short days, bacterial meningitis took her life. I encourage everyone to read up on it and take preventative measures if you can.

I don't want to go on and on, but I did want to share with you a bit about what a special person she was. Few friends encourage my writing as much as she did. I will miss all the light she brought into the world and I'm so grateful to have known her.

Rest in peace, Duke. You were one of a kind.

5 comments:

  1. Your political posts annoy me, but I am very sorry to hear about your friend. So young. Lovely tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, and she sounds like such a wonderful person that the world is lessened with her passing. Let the best of her bring out the best in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the kind words.

    they did a second line parade for her after the service today. the pics look amazing. she would have loved it. in fact, i hope she got to see it. what a tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. My heart goes out to her friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's amazing to see how many people she touched...

    ReplyDelete