Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Morning Jacket in New Zealand vol. II


I sent Tom out with the mission to take a funny picture of himself in Auckland... and this is... funny. It sort of brings to mind a cheesy album cover or something (like this --->, maybe?) Why I decided to let that one happen, I'm not sure, but it seemed amusing at the time. You know how it goes, it's late, you're at Kinko's with your friends... things get wild, man.

T's eating at Wagamama, one of our fave restaurants that we first went to in London in 2003.

Tom's dispatch from Auckland included these travel tidbits: "Pesto and bacon abound in the cuisine, most of the cars have fancy aftermarket wheels and half of those have crazy ground effects or body kits (like they're dipping their toes into the post-apocalyptic automotive world of Mad Max... okay that was set in Australia, but close enough), tips are not left on the table but tossed into a dish near the cash register, the pigeons are not fat (that must be an American thing) but abnormally large, and Ford still makes a Falcon and Fairlane that actually live up to their namesake."

I think Lonely Planet needs to hire him. I'm now even more bummed that I'm stuck stateside, but some of us have to go to Texas next week for work. Pfft.

I've asked Eric, their intrepid TM, to grab a couple shots of each show so I can continue my "there-not-there" travelogue. He's a very busy man, but we'll see what he comes up with.

Sadly, my day does not include gazing upon slender pigeons but a trip to the library (support your public library!) and Whole Foods (did you know that you can get local eggs there? Pricey but good!) are in order. Right now Chuck Todd is wooing me with his statistics while I'm trying to reconcile his ensemble (light blue shirt, charcoal blazer, bright purple tie), and though it's causing me consternation, I still heart Chuckie T. Someday I'm going to look back at this and feel a little bad that I talked about CT like he's a JoBro.

My Morning Jacket plays Big Day Out today (tomorrow) then heads to the Gold Coast.

1 comment:

  1. spreading THEE WORD, how lovely... MMJ takes the world!

    ReplyDelete