Sunday, January 4, 2009

Confessions of a Teen Idol - So That's Where Billy Hufsey's Been...

Okay, I'd never heard of this show until this morning when it premiered. Or, I think the show premiered this morning.

I'd also never heard of some of these dudes until today (the Baywatch guys and The Real World/Grind I eat raw food freak). Another thing, I never thought any of them were hot (maybe maybe Christopher Atkins, especially in The Pirate Movie. Girls of a certain age you know what I mean!).

However, none of these things kept me from watching VH-1's latest attempt to humiliate has beens.

Believe it or not, though, I confess I'm a bit fascinated. I'm a little perturbed that the premise of the show is to get these guys working again, but they only talk of getting back their fame. I mean, I thought back in the day fame was a byproduct of being a successful actor/singer/whatever. However, now acting/singing/whatever is a byproduct of fame. Grody, right?

The men (or bros as they like to call each other) are a semi-charming bunch, though. There's not a lot of dignity left when you've been to jail and/or rehab (Jeremy Jackson, who says he's 27 but looks 40), worked the cruise ship circuit (Adrian Zmed) or have gone from the Blue Lagoon to (building) the in-ground pool (Christopher Atkins).

I'm not sure who the villain is amongst this band of brothers. I'm guessing it might be David Chokachi, an ex-Baywatch babe. He's already stormed off set in a huff and he talks about how he's more than just a pretty face because he has an education but then goes on to use poor grammar in several segments.

Walking us through this maze back to the spotlight are Scott Baio and Jason Hervey. I think that sentence speaks for itself. We'll see the men in group therapy, we'll watch them get humiliated by a focus group of women, but in the end I'm sure they'll grow and learn and become better people. And in turn, so will we, right? But will they make it from the no-list to the A-list? I kind of doubt it, but they should be able to turn their stints on Confessions into a regular gig in the stable of VH-1's circus of the fading stars.

To my friend Maisy, I really hope you're watching this. I'd also like to discuss Rock of Love Charm School with you (I saw the last three minutes of the reunion special and I swear I saw that scary chick Rodeo at one of the tables). I can't believe it, but I'm going to watch the first ep of Rock of Love Bus tonight if only because you said it took place in Louisville (which will probably lead to another Why, Kentucky? post, I'm afraid). I still get hits on my blog every day from people asking "Does Bret Michaels wear a wig?" To those people, I maintain only Barbies have hair like this.

(Photo by Piotr Sikora/VH1)

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I was reading your post and thinking, "Why didn't I know about this craptastic show?!" Then I got to the last graph and laughed that you thought I'd enjoy it.

    I watched ROL Charm School, but missed the reunion show. But yes, Rodeo was involved for a while. We will have to discuss Tour Bus. While it's hardly a replacement for True Blood, Mad Men or Dexter, I have had a bit of a void in my Sunday night TV schedule lately. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, whatever do you mean about a Sunday night void, we still have Susan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooooow. That Eric Nies guy looks like he's been on Survivor for the past 10 years.

    And Billy Hufsey? I didn't even recognize him without his mullet.

    So, thanks for turning me on to yet another show I probably shouldn't be watching.

    Speaking of that, ROL Bus was revolting, if you didn't end up watching it. Where do they *find* these women? Seriously.

    ReplyDelete