Wednesday, August 6, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance - Finale Pt 1 aka Why So Serious, Josh?

I can't believe it's finale time already! How did the season go by so quickly?

In what seems to be a two person competition at this point (Katee vs Josh), we'll be treated to the top four dancers performing solo, and everybody dancing with everybody else. I'm sure we're all excited for that (anyone remember Travis and Benji's hip hop geek routine?!! SO SUPER FUN!).

Anyway, they're not mentioning the hospitalization this past weekend of two of the contestants. No sympathy votes for anyone, ya'll.

Courtney and Twitch are up first and there's a girl in the audience holding a "Twitch Marry Me" sign. I wonder if that's ever worked for anyone? Courtney's playing a crazy girlfriend in a camisole and golf pants, which is an interesting combo. I actually kind of dig it. Twitch lifts her into a crazy helipcopter spin, but this routine feels a bit sloppy. I do quite like Tabitha and Napoleon, though, and still wish T would be my friend. The judges are freaking out. Mary's screaming. Bit strange to see Mandy Moore judging the finale (or judging period).

They're followed by Courtney's solo and subsequent emo breakdown during panel review. There's an interview with C's family at home and she appears to live in a McMansion on Long Island and has a boyfriend named Brett. I wonder if that will kill votes for her? Not that she has a chance in hell in winning. Still, I give her props because her jazz number with Mark was the highlight of the season for me.

What is Mary wearing? She looks scarier than Cat, which is quite a feat. I think she got caught up in some fisherman's nets or something on her way to the studio.

It would be lovely that Wade Robson was back if he hadn't choreographed a bit of a clunker featuring Josh and Katee. What's his deal with John Mayer? This is the second routine (that I remember) he's done to JM (and the last one - gawd - we had to listen to JM like ten times in a row). JM gives me the heebs. Anyway, I wanted to like this lyrical piece better. I'm disappointed. However, I agree with Nigel that Josh and Katee are two of the best the show's ever seen.

Someone better wow me soon.

Katee and Courtney do a Tyce Broadway routine that's cute and features frilly dresses and parasols. Someday I want to wear tulle. I'm a bit confused, the credit said this was Rufus Wainwright's version of "The Trolley Song," but there are no vocals.

Twitch goes for the nerd vote by telling us he wore glasses in junior high and got picked on. He was going to join the Navy if he hadn't made it into the top 20. I think he's confessing to a bit of a romance with Kherington. Do we care? He seems like a genuine, serious young man despite his Love Me grin. I wonder if his gravitas will move people to call in.

I'll be fine with never seeing this "Four Real" move again.

Nigel says the one thing that separates us from the rest of the animals is humor. I disagree.

Twitch and Josh battle it out in a Russian Trepak from The Nutcracker. It's kind of hilariously awesome to hear Tchaikovsky on SYTYCD. Do we really believe Josh has had no formal training? I'm sorry, but I don't think you can do pirouettes and leaps like that out of the blue. Am I wrong? It's entertaining but another vaguely sloppy routine. I guess those two days off really affected show prep. Anyway, at the end of it all, it's clearly Josh: 1. Twitch: 0.

I enjoyed Katee's interview and I guess if I was going to pick up the phone it would be for the Asian power vote.

Speaking of Katee, her Fox Trot with Twitch is pretty sublime. That lift! My goodness!

Okay, we all saw that shot of Josh in ballet class, right?!! See! Then, after his solo, Nigel went on and on and on about how he's untrained. Wha?!

Courtney and Josh flail their way through a jive. Courtney's outfit is almost tragically bad. Some sort of maroon leotard with black beaded fringe and.. knee high boots. Okaaay... Nigel agrees with me that it was weak. Of course he does!

The final performance is a Mia Michaels routine featuring all four dancers. It's fast, it's bizarre, it's brilliant. I want to find that music, "Hallelujah" by The Vitamin String Quartet.

Wow. What a way to end the show. If Josh doesn't win I'll be shocked. What do you think?

Chaps and Anna, if you're reading, THE JONAS BROS WILL BE ON PT 2 OF THE FINALE TOMORROW NIGHT! Aww yeah!

Now it's on to Project Runway.

Oof,
Ms. P

4 comments:

  1. I'm going for the North Texas vote and pulling for Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg North Texas represent.

    The Vitamin String Quartet solely exists to make tribute albums. I think you should get in touch with them. Maybe they could tackle Touch Me Part 2.

    Some of their tribute albums are really good because they take awful pop songs and make them sound regal. I was crazy for them about 4 years ago. They only had 5 albums then but now they have TONS of trib albums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. i had no idea about this vitamin string quartet. i'd never heard of them. shows you how cool i am not.

    i just listened to paramore's 'hallelujah' and i totally like the vsq version better.

    and i agree - i so want to hear them do some mmj.

    if josh doesn't win i will be shocked. like jaw dropped shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. vsq doing janet jackson's "control" is about as good as it gets.

    ReplyDelete