Saturday, July 5, 2008

Why Kentucky, Why? - Sex for Gas Edition... and Streets of Fire

I'm fond of reporting embarrassing Kentucky stories, and this was about to go right up there with the best of them, but now I'm thinking Angela Eversole might be pretty enterprising trading sex for a $100 Speedway gas card. But maybe she's selling herself short with the rising cost of fuel.

In other news...

They say you can get anything in New York and apparently now you can even go to a vagina spa. I confess I can think of about five million items on my list of things to do before visiting a vagina spa. But that's just me. Apparently one of the services is called the Lazy Susan.

Jesse Helms died today. Well, technically yesterday. Either way he's still a racist.

Christopher Hitchens tried waterboarding. This made me laugh for some reason. I wonder if he saw God.

Venus and Serena Williams meet in the women's final of Wimbledon tomorrow morning. Rafael Nadal faces Roger Federer on Sunday. Go Rafa!! I don't care which Williams sister wins although I guess I favor Venus. Women's tennis is really going into the toilet now that Justine Henin retired. I'm a little bummed.

And finally, last night I watched the 80s gem Streets of Fire starring Michael Pare (whose picture I had on my wall when I was 13 or something), Diane Lane, Rick Moranis, Amy Madigan, Willem Dafoe, Bill Paxton and Deborah Van Valkenburgh (who I used to think was so purty). Seriously, what were all these talented actors thinking? Okay, I'm not sure Michael Pare was that talented since like Eddie in Eddie in the Cruisers, he pretty much disappeared only to resurface briefly in The Virgin Suicides.

I couldn't tell if this movie was set in the 40s or the 80s or both simultaneously. What was director Walter Hill thinking? I love The Warriors, though, and can sort of see SOF as a strange extension of that gang classic. I mean, who else would put Willem Dafoe in patent overalls with no shirt?

The film did spawn the hit "I Can Dream About You" (performed in the movie by some moonwalking African-American dudes, but in real life it was the super white Dan Hartman), and also featured appearances by The Blasters and several Ry Cooder tracks.

Anyhoo, please enjoy this clip of Diane Lane lip-synching to Fire, Inc's "Tonight is What it Means to be Young." I love how this is the dubbed version (see the end). What a hot mess.



Of course I own the soundtrack.

Aww yeah, Coyote Ugly just came on! I'm totally not going to admit how many times I've seen this movie.

Nighty night kids,
Ms. P

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god; the eighties, Diane Lane? Really? And that microphone? sigh.

    ReplyDelete