Wednesday, June 25, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance - Top 16

There are only a few shows that Tom and I watch together and yes, it's true, So You Think You Can Dance is one of them (Project Runway, Heroes and the Mecum Car Auction are the others.)

This season is off to a bit of a weird start (although I haven't watched the first two weeks of Top 20 competition yet since I was gone so I'm not judging with any real authority, mind you... not that I ever am).

Tonight we saw Sonya, who reminds me of Annabella from Bow Wow Wow and the punk rock thug girlfriend from Weird Science, choreograph a comic book hero routine for Kourtni (the girl Mia Michaels said is only happy when her leg is in the air, or something equally rude. Someone please tell me why Mia hates women) and her weirdo ninja-mask wearing partner Matt.

The other Courtney wore half a dress, and I couldn't help but think of her sweet grandparents watching their little girl slink around looking like a stripper. Nigel went into lech mode at the sight of it.

Tyce Diorio, whose choreography I usually like, put together an African Jazz routine to, err, Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People." Comfort and her lego people-headed partner Chris did their best to dance around in the mud or whatever that was, but no one seemed impressed.

Who doesn't love Twitch and his perky partner Kherington (what the hell is up with the names this season? New jacked city. Good lord. Just call me Lynduh, I guess)? They did a hip hop routine that was cute, and Mary said they hit it hard (because that's the only thing she knows how to say about hip hop routines), but I wasn't too excited about it. In their defense, I'm rather tired after eating some Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Buns ice cream.

That lady who choreographs the disco routines takes disco really seriously. Too seriously, perhaps.

Oh my goodness, is this a quick step to Phil Collins' version of "You Can't Hurry Love?" Zzzz... I remember liking this song in the 80s, though. Chelsea and Thayne... also not doing it for me. And Thayne??! Really? If Kherington and Thayne had kids, what would they call them?!

It's so awesome that Mary can say, "Last week you were on my hot tamale train and this week you're in the caboose" without a hint of irony or humor (especially with that bedazzled to hell shirt she has on).

This Mark guy seems cool. He picks his nose, apparently, with his freaky freaky crooked pinkies. I loved his "Bohemian Rhapsody" solo. Chelsie (you can distinguish her by the "ie") seems okay. They did a hip hop number also choreographed by Napoleon and Tabitha. I really like them even though I miss Shane Sparks (who is dragged way down by JC Chasez and Lil Mama on America's Next Dance Crew). This is definitely my favorite routine of the night. That was so good I watched it again. Holy cow, Mary did not say "hard hitting"!!! Somewhere pigs are flying.

Katee (of course it's Katee and not Katie) is wearing a half-dress, too. She's Asian, though, so I'm not going to say anything bad about her. Hee hee. My friend Cherie thinks her partner, Josh, looks like Gene Anthony Ray. Aww, GAR! Nigel's telling her she's sexy. Eesh. At least he's going equal opportunity and going on about Josh's bum. Okay, my favorite moment of the night... Nigel calling out to Josh's dad asking him if he got his butt from him, and Dad, wearing some extremely loud pants, turns around and shows it! Yes!

My love for Cat Deeley is waning in the face of her giant hair and bizarro outfits. She's still my favorite cheery blonde, though. I mean, she's probably the only cheery blonde that doesn't make me nauseous.

More tomorrow when it's results time! Who will be dancing for their life?!

Sleepytime,
Ms. P

2 comments:

  1. I hate that I missed this and we don't have tivo or any of those other great save the tv show things. THis too is one of the only shows I watch with my husband. Is there anywhere on the net that they show these episodes? Again, Mia is a hater. I'm beginning to wonder about her.
    ps. I love twitch and kherington (kherrington?) I don't know how to spell her name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday. I'm always a few days behind on this stuff.

    ReplyDelete