Monday, June 2, 2008

Sex and the City: Counterpoint

** SPOILERS **

**SPOILERS **

It seems fitting that I sit here at my Apple laptop writing post #300 about the Sex and the City movie. I just read Javacia's review, and it's funny that we came to the movie from opposite ends (she wasn't an avid watcher, I own every season on DVD) and had opposite reactions.

I feel satisfied enough that Carrie managed to get herself married off to Big after a colossal two hour intensely annoying misunderstanding, but man... this movie felt more tired than last season's Ralph Lauren "return to drapery as dresses" collection.

Some thoughts on the film...

I'm pleased that I finally went to a movie in Louisville that featured scenes with two men kissing that were NOT followed by the sounds of gagging.

I thought it amusing that the only other guy there (in the sea of women) was also a tattooed sucker who must really love his gal. Poor Tom.

Speaking of Tom, he had this to say, "There's more depth in the characters in the X-Men comics than in SATC. The only person I liked was the bald dude, Charlotte's husband. My favorite part was the credits."

I was not charmed by Big's constant insecurities. Was this supposed to humanize or emasculate him?

If Tom had left me at the altar I don't think I would have a perfect tousled blowout in the days following. How did Carrie do it?

I think it's telling that when Big saw Carrie on the street after he left the wedding site she yelled, "I'm humiliated!" as opposed to "You broke my heart" or anything having to do with their relationship. That she sort of copped to this later when she realized her Vogue article was all about "I' redeems her somewhat but by that time I'm not sure how forgiving I felt.

Speaking of forgiveness, it's a major theme in the film. Miranda has to forgive Steve. Carrie has to forgive Miranda. Carrie has to forgive Big. Tom has to forgive me for making him go.

I understand that fashion was a big part of the show and while I tend to hate everything Carrie wears, she did manage to sport one jacket I was drooling over (though all the fur was bumming me out). Unfortunately, they wasted a lot of time "treating" us to fashion show after fashion montage. It made me feel like they had a list of things they needed to feature (crazy fashions - check. Random sex - check. Miranda being a bitch then showing her vulnerable side - check. Charlotte continuing her Upper East Side fantasy life via a miracle pregnancy - check. Samantha showing off her potty mouth - check) and used a wedding and a wedding called off to glue it all together. Sadly the glue ended up being more like the duct tape used to hold Carrie's phone together (until she chucked it in the ocean, that is).

In the end, I feel like perhaps I have changed, not SATC. I'm older, no longer single, I live in Crestwood... The Big City Me is gone and with it my patience for superficial soap operaish conflict. That said, women's friendships are universal and I do believe that beneath the Manolos lies the kinship that made the show a hit and the movie Star Wars for chicks (every showing from 5 - 11 on Friday was sold out, something I've never encountered here).

I don't want my 2 1/2 hours back, but it's nice to return to the real world where no woman I know would wear a bird on her head to her wedding.

Back to the French Open,
Ms. P

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the movie, but I'm sure I will on video (I've seen every episode of the series, so I'm mildly interested). I imagine part of the problem with the movie is that it's a sitcom stretched over two and a half hours. Even the best sitcom couldn't sustain itself for that long. 2 hours of Seinfeld would just leave you hating every character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... five minutes of Seinfeld left me hating every character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think the fact that you changed/got married/moved on had anything to do with the black hole of suckness that was the Sex and the City movie. I think it all comes down to the fact that this movie never needed to be made. This was made painfully obvious when the funniest part of the film involved pants poo.

    there are so many episodes i could point out and want to cry about (The Way We Were episode, or the one where Charlotte says they should all be soulmates, or the one where Carrie smokes pot with that guy while listening to Hot Child In the City.... i could go on). The final season of SATC was wrapped up in a perfect bow. It felt like someone had given me a Wii and then a few years later, come along and given me an abacus.

    i didn't have any expectations for the movie but i just wanted to see SOMETHING that provoked me like the series had.

    and don't get me started on the numerous fashion montages...

    p.s. why was no one bothered by the fact that one sentence from Miranda (even though it was bad) was enough to make Mr. Big skip out on his own wedding and screw up his life? i know he has a "thing" about marriage, but if Miranda said something like that to MY future husband, i would hope he'd say "stop being such a bitch, here have some Red Vines" and everything would be a-ok.

    p.p.s. right before Steve admitted to having an affair, did it look like he was about to vomit/pass out/keel over dead? it freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! Thank you for making me not feel like a traitor to my gender. Everyone else I've talked to LOVES the movie.

    Re your ps... what bothered me about that was Carrie's reaction when Miranda finally fessed up... "You ruined my marriage!!!" Seriously???

    and the pps... I thought the same thing about Steve although I have to say if Tom's ever admitting something that bad to me (not that he ever will, knock wood) he BETTER look like he's about to keel over.

    ReplyDelete