Friday, June 6, 2008

The French Open: French Women May Not Get Fat but They Do Wear Scrunchies, Apparently

I have long admired French women for their effortless style and beauty. For this reason I am shocked to see Amelie Mauresmo at the French Open looking tidy in a navy blazer but wearing a scrunchy... on her wrist. Globalization is really screwing things up, let me tell you.

In other French Open News, Bjorn Borg (who's looking quite distinguished as the years go by) will be on hand Sunday to watch Rafael Nadal defend his title and possibly match him in the history books as he faces off with Roger Federer for the third year in a row. Go Rafa. I like Fed and all, but I'd like to see Nadal take a fourth consecutive title more than I want to see Federer get a career slam. Of course I'd like to see RN do almost anything (tee hee).

Tomorrow morning new World #1 (I'm still reeling from the absence of Justine Henin) Ana Ivanovic goes for her first title. Can she beat the spitfire Dinara Safina? Those Russians are fierce. I'll be happy to see either win but am rooting for Safina.

The BBC website has French Open Quotes of the Day including this gem from Michael Stich, "At the moment, I like the latest James Blunt; when I listen to him, I don't think of anything." I remember watching a bit on what music the top players like and being a little disappointed (a lot of "whatever's on the radio" type answers), but this guy should start reviewing for Pitchfork.

Wimbledon will be upon us before you know it. I've come to enjoy the French and US Open tournaments, but my heart will always belong to the All England Tennis Club.

Happy Friday,
Ms. P

1 comment:

  1. What is it about Ivanovic? That she's totally cute? ;)

    Yes, she is, but for some reason Safina, who I've never quite liked because of her outbursts and inconsistency, has really impressed me (and she beat Sharapova!).

    The Euro Cup... this is football, right? Go Oranje! I remember being in Holland when the World Cup was going on and it was like living in a sea of orange (my least favorite color at the time - and the reason why I didn't watch the French Open until recently, lame I know). Needless to say I was annoyed but remember enjoying the games where the underdog won.

    Maybe that's why I like Safina. I am a sucker for the underdog.

    ReplyDelete