Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ugly Betty: Season Finale (and Betty goes to...)

Spoiler alert. Spoilery type things to follow... I warned ya!

*************

Yes, it's true, I think Ugly Betty is the best show I watch. It has drama, intrigue, humor and heart all set in this strange New York (and next season the real New York, which should add a whole new layer to the show) gay spaceship (see: Saturday Night Live).

If you follow my blog at all, you know I definitely watch a lot of crap TV (Desperate Housewives, anyone?) so it's nice to see a show that's just as outlandish but rarely falls short.

I love seeing two such interesting choices in suitors for Betty. All season I've been lamenting Henry's turn as a rather staid companion, but enter Gio who's more dynamic, romantic, handsome and sweet and things started looking up. It's like Henry was a good starter boyfriend for Betty's life in the real world, but Gio's, as he said, "the guy."

I'm not loving watching Hilda get her heart broken for the second time this year. That girl deserves a break and obviously Eddie Cibrian, the dude from Sunset Beach and Third Watch isn't going to give her one (and can you believe I pulled those references out of my HEAD and not IMDB?! Loser!).

I think, if it's possible, that Wilhemina Slater has less of a heart than Meryl Streep's Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada (although that character had less heart in the book and is aka Anna Wintour). I don't know if high fashion editors are really this evil, but it gives one pause. I might be snarky about dopey pop culture stuff, but I can't imagine living in a world where being vicious is de rigeur.

I can't believe Alexis is pushing Daniel out of Mode. At least Mama Meade looks po'ed. I love Daniel's French son. That kid is seriously cute (and as we all know I think most kids are demons).

The show ends with Hilda heading back to Coach Diaz (this can't be good) and Betty standing alone on her doorstep, bags packed. Will she head to Rome with Gio or Arizona with Henry? I think neither... I think Betty's off on her own adventure that's ruled by no one but herself. At least, I hope so.

The cameo appearances from Lindsay Lohan and Naomi Campbell are barely worth mentioning so there... they are barely mentioned.

Also seen today... Episode 1 of So You Think You Can Dance (why on earth do "Sex" and "Golden Inferno" keep coming back? Seriously, I hope they pay these guys to embarrass themselves like that. I loved the two poppers, especially the first guy - the one who was from Houston last year, but now lives in LA. He's adorable and has some freaky mad skillzzz).

And we went to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. That is a long a** title. Cate Blanchett still looks beautiful even with a bad wig and a bad jumpsuit. I'm convinced we're descended from apes (see: the Tarzan scene). That crystal skull Indiana Jones talks about - the one in the British Museum - I've seen it! I'm not quite sure why Steven Spielberg turned the 50s into a postcard, but the movie wasn't bad. Oh, and speaking of Ugly Betty, Bradford Meade (Alan Dale) shows up in an early scene.

Nighties,
Ms. P

ps. How can I neglect mentioning Tony Plana as Ignacio Suarez? Aside from Betty, he is the full on heart of this show. We should all have such an awesome dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment