Sunday, January 27, 2008

We are the Champions

Winners of the weekend...

Australian Open
Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic emerged victorious. I really wanted Ana Ivanovic to beat MS but knew she wouldn't. Yuri Sharapov, Maria's creepy Unabomber father won the hearts of many when he made a throat slashing motion after his daughter beat Justine Henin. He is one class act. I think he might be worse than Richard Williams (father of Venus and Serena).

I'm thrilled that Djokovic won his first grand slam. I'm not thrilled that my DVR stopped recording the match in the third set so I missed it. I wonder if his opponent, Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, will end up like fellow countrywoman Marion Bartoli and fade into obscurity after a surprise Grand Slam final appearance. Let's hope not.

Politics
Barack Obama trounced Hillary Clinton in the South Carolina Primary. We'll see what happens on Super Tuesday but Obama definitely has the momentum now. I don't care who gets the nomination as long as they WIN in November.

Figure Skating
Farewell Kimmie Meisner. She wasn't even in the top four as Mirai Nagasu, a 14 year old Californian, took home the gold in her first senior appearance. Too bad she and Caroline Zhang (who placed fourth) are too young to go to Worlds. Annoying male pairs skater John Baldwin (he's the blond guy who looks like Syndrome from The Incredibles) proposed to his partner Rene Inoue after their free skate. This would have been rather touching if Inoue hadn't looked mortified. Apparently she said, "yes" but it sure didn't seem like a moment of joy. Maybe she was hoping John Zimmerman would ask instead. Too bad he's already taken.

I'll be back tonight with SAG Awards coverage. The Actors definitely rank up there as one of the most nauseating awards shows as there's nothing more ickily self-aggrandizing than a bunch of actors sitting around congratulating each other and themselves. However, with the WGA strike still going on, this may be the only one they're allowed to show up to so I'll take my tacky glitz and glamour where I can.

Speaking of glamour, I found the Holy Grail of handbags at Neiman Marcus yesterday. I never thought I would covet a $1000 purse, but here I am... Damn you, Marc Jacobs!!!! Damn you straight to fashion hell!

I ate Krispy Kreme's for breakfast.

Unk,
Ms. P

6 comments:

  1. No link for the bag? And does this mean you've been out at the Domain without me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does. That place is weird but the bag lady at Neiman's was very nice. She was excited that I like Stella McCartney (which I don't that much but at least all her stuff is cruelty-free). Anyhoo, I can't find the MJ bag ANYWHERE online. I searched and searched when I got home. It's a sky blue patent leather bowler bag. It was rad but ridiculous. I mean, maybe someday if $1000 is like $10 to me. Where that day is, I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy the Domain makes me feel like I'm in Orange County, but that's okay.

    Ah, the perfect bag - so easy to rationalize! If it's your everyday bag for two years, that's a little over a dollar a day. A bargain, really - it'd be almost ridiculous not to get it. It'll stick around for years, and then in like 10 years it'll be, if possible, even cooler - all worn and vitage-y. It'll be the perfect bag all over again, and the excitement of that alone is enough to invest in it now. A responsible investment that pays life long dividends... you should totally do this:)

    Is Stella's line vegan? I did not know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! The dollar a day rationale is exactly what I was trying to use with Tom the husband. My problem, though, is if I had something that nice I would probably be more apt to put it in a glass case and hang it on the wall rather than use it. I mean, my God, what if it got damaged or someone stole it? I'd have a heart attack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. Yes, Stella's stuff is vegan. I spent a summer in London and practically lived on Linda McCartney veggie sticks.

    Also, I agree, The Domain is very Fashion Island, Newport Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see this bag. Badly. It sounds divine.
    Income tax refunds are coming, you know.

    ReplyDelete