Sunday, January 27, 2008

SAG Awards: Sagging in Style

I used to be somewhat fascinated by red carpet coverage but watching this nitwit named Debbie Matenopoulos (or something) ask Ricky Gervais how he feels about Steve Carrell being more famous than him... Seriously. Painful. Not that Giuliana Rancic is any better. I must confess I am seeing better dresses (Becki Newton is a mermaid again, Diane Lane looks hot) than the last couple awards shows I've written about. Oh look, there's Teri Hatcher. Someone please ask her why Susan is such a loser!

The actors are thrilled to be gussied up and getting the attention they've been missing since the Golden Globes were canceled. (Debbie just called Eric Mabius Eric Mabion. What an idiot, but look, there's Mr. Jay!) Now Tina Fey's being subjected to the Glam Cam while Giuliana asks her if her daughter is funny. Like she's going to say no? I might have to stop watching the red carpet coverage. It's making me sick.

Ellen Pompeo is annoying and wearing a satin sheet. Ellen Page is not (annoying or wearing a satin sheet), but I don't know what's up with that hair.

Rainn Wilson is on my lame list now for saying "my cast."

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt hath arrived. She's wearing... some sort of odd drapery that her boobs are about to fall out of. It's voluminous. Maybe all the kids are hiding underneath.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Heath Ledger, but I have been hitting fast forward quite a lot. Ahh, Ryan Gosling and his sister just did. They're wearing little black ribbons and RG says the media should leave Ledger's friends and family alone. Amen to that. Rancic is having a moment of amnesia because she's all "Absolutely, I can't believe all the speculation!" while apparently forgetting just who she works for.

Okay, on to the awards...

Ahh, it's anecdotal "I'm an actor" time. Look, there's Laura Leighton! I kind of miss her. Good old Sydney. Sandra Oh is an actor... in a bad dress. Jane Krawkowski was kind of funny... until she applauded for herself.

First up...
Best Actor in a TV Drama: The actors, apparently making up for the Emmy snub, voted for James Gandolfini. They're on their feet as JG makes a spectacularly dull speech.

Nikki Blonsky just asked for some cheap applause as she and John Travolta introduce Hairspray, which is up for best ensemble.

Debra Messing and Zac Effron (never thought I'd see those two together, but it's fitting since they're both annoying as hell) present Best Actress in a TV Drama. The winner: Edie Falco. Viva Sopranos, I guess. I never watched that show. Well, I did and I got all warm and fuzzy over Tony and then he shot someone in the head. So that was pretty much it for me.

Has anyone noticed The Actor statue has quite a, err, package? The Actor is no Ken doll.

Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama Series: Quelle surprise, The Sopranos beats out Boston Legal and its annoying theme song, The Closer, Grey's Anatomy, and Mad Men. I actually wrote that sentence before they even announced the winner. Actors are so predictable!

I can't believe Emile Hirsch got cute. Didn't see that one coming. The cast of Into the Wild is also up for Best Ensemble in a film.

Actor in a Supporting Role: Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men which also means no award for old man Hal Holbrook. I read an interview with HH recently that bummed me out. Instead of reflecting upon his many achievements instead he looked back on a career full of missed opportunities. Sad.

Actress in a Comedy Series: Tina Fey. Excellent. She was up against Christina Applegate, though, so it must not have been too hard to win. She's endearingly self-effacing as she compares herself to Fred Astaire's hat rack.

Actor in a Comedy Series: Alec Baldwin. I guess no one understands calling your kid a "rude little pig" better than your fellow actors. I'm glad AB's been forgiven as he's way too awesome on 30 Rock. Besides, though I found his behavior fairly reprehensible, this is also why I don't have kids. I would be way too tempted to say the same thing someday. Isn't that awful? Yeah.

Some lady with weird glasses (Ruby Dee) introduces American Gangster, also up for Best Film Ensemble.

Comedy Series Ensemble: 30 Rock has to win. Desperate Housewives cannot win. Entourage is a comedy? I don't watch The Office. I love Ugly Betty, but lately it makes me cry more than laugh. Also, America Ferrara's losing too much weight. NOOOO!! How could 30 Rock not win? Pffft. Grudging kudos to the cast of The Office.

Time for a SAG infomercial followed by an Alan Rosenberg appearance. He's the President of SAG, and I used to love him on LA Law. He's also married to that hottie Marg Helgenberger.

Denis Leary and Burt Reynolds present Charles Durning with the Lifetime Achievement Award. Durning seems a bit frail, but he's charming and I love that he's married to his childhood sweetheart.

Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: I haven't seen any of these films. I don't watch TV movies unless they're on Lifetime. Kevin Kline wins for something or other, and he's not even there to accept it.

3:10 to Yuma is introduced by Ben Foster (Angel from X-Men: The Crap Stand). He's 27 but looks 17.

Mickey Rooney (he's still alive?!!) comes out to give the award for Actress in a Television Movie or Miniseries. Euw. There's Debra Messing again. Clapping for herself. When and why did they all start doing that? So tacky. Rooney keeps calling it a tie, Messing looks like she's going to cry, and Queen Latifah (or Miss Latifah as Rooney calls her) wins the award.

Josh Brolin introduces the In Memoriam montage. Poor Brad Renfro. Sam the Butcher (Allan Melvin)! Ahh, Robert Goulet. Marcel Marceau (who will carry the mime torch now?) Heath Ledger, strangely, got nothing but a two-second flash on the screen. I guess he was added on? I'm still baffled by how sad his death made me.

Viggo Mortensen is sporting some really unfortunate facial hair. Also, his burgundies don't match (vest and tie). I still heart him, though. He's here to present Best Supporting Actress in a Film to Ruby Dee who looks like she doesn't realize her name's been called.

Is this show going to end anytime soon? I'm on Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow now and the Clock Tower awaits.

Tommy Lee Jones introduces No Country for Old Men which wins (I skipped ahead). Josh Brolin rambled on while Woody Harrelson reminded him to thank the Coen Brothers.

Oh oh! It's Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey! I so don't want to see their new movie. They give the Best Actor in a Film award to Daniel Day Lewis who looks exactly the same as when he won the Oscar for My Left Foot. Goodness, the crowd is on its feet. I guess my friend George was right about his performance in There Will Be Blood. He dedicates his Actor to Heath Ledger in a classy and moving speech.

Best Actress in a Film goes to Julie Christie for Away From Her. I really need to see that movie as I'm a big admirer of Sarah Polley.

Tom Cruise is brave to show his face in public as he announces Best Ensemble in a Film. Too bad he doesn't get to present the award to his fellow Scientologist John Travolta as the aforementioned No Country for Old Men takes home the top prize.

Thank you and good night,
Ms. P

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the sag awards. However,I do think that Josh Brolin was "High" on cocaine. If you noticed he couldn't leave his nose alone. How embarassing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm so happy you know who Hal Holbrook is.

    A lot of people ask me who my best celebrity interview has been, and for the longest time, it was HH and his wife, Dixie Carter, who I spoke to at the same time. (And then the person who asked the question would then reply, "WHO?")

    They were both so cool, so funny and so spry. They surprised me, and were both quite endearing.

    Also, I miss Sydney too. She's been in a few Lifetime stinkers, but that's about all I've seen of her since MP.

    ReplyDelete