Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Truth About Hillary: Odd Girl Out?

Yesterday I actually sat through two Lifetime network movies, The Truth About Jane featuring Ellen Muth (George from Dead Like Me) and RuPaul (playing a man, but still gay) and Odd Girl Out, a Mean Girls ripoff starring Alexa Vega (from Spy Kids). I must say it heartens me to see such positive message flicks (especially Truth About Jane) on a network that, wrong or right, seems so very Harlequin Romance and possibly conservative. That said, I must say most chick-lit I read does seem distinctly Democratic.

Moving on, I don't know how well Hillary Clinton's hour long appearance on Meet the Press is going to serve her. I may have been cringing at times, not because of what she said, but because she has such image problems and I suspect at the heart of it her intelligence comes with a certain amount of arrogance and impatience (which showed) yet she's just been clearly told that being "human" is what plays well with the crowd. However, I think it sucks that she must walk this line of being soft yet tough (we're supposed to burnt marshmallows?), but isn't that the challenge of ALL women? I know that I am rarely graceful about being either (and this is, of course, the only reason why I don't run for president).

And speaking of the challenges of women, tonight marks the return of Rock of Love featuring our favorite phone-sex recipient Bret Michaels! Gosh, I just can't wait to find out who this season's Lacey, Jes and Heather are going to be!! The mind does boggle.
Also tonight, the, err, press conference announcing the winners of the Golden Globes. I'll have a little report on what is sure to be a scintillating broadcast for you later. Or tomorrow. I must finish Eclipse and be done with the Cullens, the classiest vampire family ever. Mostly I'm just sick of Bella, the highly average teenager who has somehow managed to enchant not only the most sophisticated vampires but the most interesting werewolves, as well. I'm sure I'm just jealous. I want mythical creatures for buddies!

Tying this post together, I just read that Anne Rice has endorsed... Hillary Clinton! Does this mean Hillary will become the Queen of the Damned? Inheriting GW's mess (not to mention all the monarchy/dynasty questions), I'm sure it probably feels that way to her.

I'm going to write a Lifetime movie someday! Right after I finish watching Queen Size starring Nikki Blonsky and Annie Potts!
Ms. P

ps. Here's something amusing for all you My So Called Life fans out there. Angela Chase talks about the issues.

pps. Just read this article about the potential unraveling of the writer's strike.

ppps. Newsweek got told (do people still use that slang?) by... Clay Aiken! Ha ha!

3 comments:

  1. I think the problem with Hillary Clinton's image is that the level of arrogance and impertinence you have to have to handle running for President is practically sociopathic. Unfortunately, many people see this as being an attractive quality in men and just the opposite in women. Put plainly, we all want our President to be an asshole, but not a bitch. Does that make any sense?

    Anyway, it's TV armageddon tonight with Terminator, Comanche Moon (I have to watch anything with Val Kilmer in it for some reason), the Globes debacle plus football. I may have to record two shows downstairs and watch something upstairs. This is almost like doing math. Hopefully there'll be a 1AM showing of Rock of Love 2 to record for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes total sense and I think you're right. The double standard is annoying but then again, I don't think anyone should be as arrogant/ego driven as most/all presidential candidates are.

    Okay, if you have to see anything with Val Kilmer have you seen him in the musical version of The Ten Commandments? AWESOME!!

    Looking forward to Terminator. Hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had read an article and blog post positing that no one who should be President would ever run, because they're too smart to. I think both Obama and Clinton are the closest we'll ever get to people who should be President and have the actual mental make-up to go through with it.

    As for Val Kilmer, I try to only watch his good movies. Thus avoiding anything that is direct-to-video or co-starring Marlon Brando. As for the Ten Commandments, I figured that I'd already "seen" him as Moses in the animated Prince of Egypt, so I could take the pass. If you haven't seen Spartan or Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, both are actual good movies he's been in recently. I'm trying to compose a post that deals with my unfortunate fascination with the man.

    ReplyDelete