Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Sound of Music: I've been von Trapped!

It's probably criminal that I never saw The Sound of Music until tonight, but it's true. Oh sure, I remember watching bits and pieces as a child and I think we all know the scene where Julie Andrews goes running through the Austrian hillside singing "The hills have eyes," I mean, "The hills are alive..."

Christopher Plummer was quite dashing as Captain Georg von Trapp. He's the original Ewan McGregor. I just read that he despises the movie and I feel a bit disappointed - like I was when I found out Michael Vartan hates his character in Never Been Kissed. I personally love Mr. Coulson, so there!

Even though some of those kids reminded me of an Aryan Nation postcard with their shiny blond hair and glittering blue eyes, they were quite adorable as they trilled, "So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye." I'm rather sad that goodbye meant watching them traipse through the Austrian Alps while fleeing the Nazis. They looked ever so fashionable but one of the boys was in shorts! How did he avoid hypothermia? Did they make it to Switzerland?! Do they ever get to return to their fabulous manor?!! Inquiring minds want to know!

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve. Do you have any resolutions? I have a few but better not to tell you as I rarely keep them. I just hope that every year I grow a little, improve some. I'm not always sure I succeed, but I'll keep trying.

Lots of interesting and bad TV coming our way along with the Iowa and New Hampshire Caucuses so 2008 at least promises to start with a little bang. Will Huckabee best Mitten? Can Clinton hold her ground against Obama? Does anyone still love Edwards? I can't wait to find out!

The sun has gone to bed and so must I,
Ms. P

5 comments:

  1. That's my mother's favorite movie, and we listened to the soundtrack non-stop on our hi-fi. Thus, I've pretty much had my fill of it. Still, it's about as good a production as you're ever going to see. All those scenes in the Alps are stunning. In real life, the Trapp family moved to Vermont and opened a music school and ski lodge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I know someone who would really appreciate your answer in regards to what became of the von Trapps!

    Those scenes in the Alps were amazing - I really want to go there now. My mother emailed me this morning saying it was her favorite movie, too. I must have seen more of it than I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the real Maria Von Trapp died I was six. For some reason, I took the obituary with me to church and asked my Sunday School teacher if we could pray for her. My teacher wasn't too happy with my request. I think she was almost as annoyed as when my sister and I asked if we could sing Madonna's "Like a Prayer" for the congregation.

    Anyway, I was six and not too worldy and didn't realize that Julie Andrews wasn't Maria von Trapp. To this day, everytime Julie Andrews shows up in something new, I think, "Wait. Isn't she dead?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never have seen Sound of Music. Despite my love of musicals, don't know how that has happened.

    Anyhoo, while watching various New Year's countdown shows at a friend's house, we were disheartened by the frightening amount of reality show commercials leading us to somberly discuss the coming reality show armmageddon that will happen once all of the scripted shows run out of episodes in Feb-March. How can I deal with a presidential election with no Daily Show or 30 Rock to convince me that sane people still exist?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Daily Show and Colbert Report are coming back, I think. Without writers.

    I love musicals, too, and somehow avoided The Sound of Music but I was in tears at how delightful it was! So you must see it!

    Yes, we are doomed as far as the future of TV goes, but I'll keep watching.

    And Lauren, I think it would have been awesome if you could have done "Like a Prayer".

    ReplyDelete