Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Kennedy Center Honors: For Once George Bush and I Have Something in Common

Okay, maybe not. For the better part of this show, GW and I have had a look of mild amusement and confusion on our faces but now I, who knew I was in a time warp while watching this thing, am sitting here wondering who the hell thought Hootie and the Blowfish were still relevant??!

Of course, it's the first time in the show where Bushie has looked fully awake. Figures.

Oh my God, Wonder Woman is dancing around as Hootie regales the crowd with a Beach Boys medley (they're honoring Brian Wilson). At least Robert de Niro has the good sense to, uh, have no rhythm.

I seriously wonder what dimension The Kennedy Center Honors gala flows into ours from. I tend to think 1978 or 1981 as its cheesy tributes harken back to a more innocent (innocently disturbing is more like it) era. I mean, the Steve Martin Vaudeville Dancers? I want to know what was inside Martin's head while four ladies dressed in white suit jackets wearing bunny ears sang "All of Me".

At least Steve Carell provided some genuine funny before things got weird.

Martin Scorsese got the classiest tribute of the evening with Cameron Diaz, De Niro and some hot opera chick opening up the show.

Poor Brian Wilson is all I have to say. From Hootie to beach balls floating down from the ceiling, his face betrayed little emotion. I mean geez, if they were going to mine the 90s, they couldn't get Wilson Phillips?!

When, oh when, is real TV going to start again?

I hope you all are enjoying your holidays. I had a creepy dream last night where I was having an affair with Tom Brokaw and got caught by Tom the husband's mother. 2007 really needs to end.

Why does Kate Walsh love gossip magazines?
Ms. P

No comments:

Post a Comment