Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Random Disjointed Interruption

I love Celine Dion! I watched Celine on Oprah yesterday and as a result now understand the vacant look I see on the East End housewives' faces when I'm in line with them at the Springhurst Target. I bet I have that same look now. There's something hypnotic about getting sucked into Celine and The O. Something that reeks of "normal life" with hidden fantasies of standing on the prow (was it the prow?) of a ship with Leonardo Di Caprio while the wandering words of "near, far, wherever you are..." float through your unconscious. It's powerful stuff, man, that lure of mom jeans and minivans and Top 40 music.

Nicole Kidman says she hasn't had any cosmetic procedures done in the new issue of Marie Claire. This bothers me because I like Nicole, but I can't stand liars. I'm still looking forward to her portrayal of Mrs. Coulter in The Golden Compass, though. She was a champion liar, too.

Is anyone besides me disturbed by the Xbox 360 commercial that has a chorus of kids singing Poison's "Nothin' But a Good Time"? I mean, goodness, why did they leave out these classic lines, "They say I spend my money on women and wine, but I couldn't tell you where I spent last night"?

I tried watching Weeds yesterday, but I'm sorry, I can't get past that theme song. I mean, I thought I wouldn't be able to get past Mary Louise Parker, but the memory of that ticky tacky flesh-crawl inducing tune just made me shudder while I was writing. Bit sad, really, as I like Elizabeth Perkins and it was kind of cool to see Barto from Jack and Jill again.

National Right to Life endorsed Fred Thompson who keeps referring to himself in the third person (which you know I just love). Maybe he thinks someone else ("Fred Thompson") will be President if he wins and he'll be spared from doing the hard work. Anyway, poor Mike Huckabee. He's fervently anti-choice, his popularity is surging, and he's not getting the big nods.

What the heck is going on in Tennis? End of year fatigue, I'm guessing, as Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal all suffered surprise losses in the Round Robin matches at the Masters Cup in Shanghai. But kudos to Fernando Gonzalez, Richard Gasquet, and David Ferrer for their upsets. This is the second time Ferrer's beat Nadal this year.

And finally, can someone please explain to me why every handbag I see in Lucky and In Style costs upwards of $1,000 (or more)? I finally got my head wrapped around $200 jeans but this... this seems like insanity. On second thought, $200 jeans are pretty crazy, too.

Bea Arthur is buggin',
Ms. P

2 comments:

  1. not a big fan of Weeds, thought it was just okay. love that opening sequence though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of any of the GOP candidates, but at least Huckabee is demanding that the Republicans stick to their principles. Being anti-choice was a bedrock principle of the GOP -- until they realized that more and more voters aren't. This kind of flip-flopping is the stuff the GOP blasted Bill Clinton and John Kerry over.

    ReplyDelete