Thursday, November 15, 2007

Project Runway: The Designers Nip and Tuck

It's episode one of Project Runway season 4! *Spoiler Alert* if you haven't watched. I'm going to do a quick rundown of the designers and how they fared on the runway as there are so many contestants, if I cover the whole show this post will be a novel.

At first glance, they seem as loony as ever!

We have Rami who once designed a cute frock for Jessica Alba. He might be promising. His dress is pretty gorgeous (if not a bit dull), but is that a rosette on the shoulder?!! I'm feeling alarmed as shades of Angela return to my mind. He wins the challenge but doesn't say "thank you". I'm rather annoyed by this but he seems harmless. For now.

Chris March is a costume designer whose portfolio is quite outrageous. By comparison, his gown is pretty restrained and slightly now as purple is very "in" these days.

Christian Siriano's hair is as off as his personality (although finally a crazy Christian who has nothing to do with religion, I say). I hated his outfit and felt like I was watching Dynasty or something when those big ol' puffy sleeves came walking down the runway. I can't believe the judges were so overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's me.

Carmen Webber thinks she knows everything because she used to model. Snooze. Well she doesn't, let me tell you, because her black pants/gold top combo was fugly.

Jillian used to design for Ralph Lauren. And likes orange. I do not like orange but wasn't averse to the poufy pleated skirt.

Kevin Christiana sports some unfortunate pointed facial hair and comes out as a hetero. I liked his dress but have a sneaking suspicion we might have this year's Jeffrey Sebelia which means yuck.

Jack Mackenroth appears feisty and funny. Love his dress. Very cute and sophisticated garden party sort of feel.

Steven Rosengard plays the organ, smiles a lot and looks fab in pink pastel. His black suit bored me but was fairly chic and enough to get him on to week two.

Simone LeBlanc isn't worth mentioning since she'll be out in 50 minutes which is a bit of a shame since she seems a) relatively sane and b) her dress could have been kind of cute if she'd bothered to finish it and hadn't added the ugliest shrug on earth.

Elisa Jimenez, the crazy haiku-of-a-cut lady, makes some truly ugly marionettes and designed a flowing gown with a ridiculous train. Heidi said, "Her model looked like she was pooing fabric." I have very strong anti-hippie tendencies and I fear Elisa is going to drive me nuts. And that would be because she already does.

Sweet P Vaughn is a biker chick whose clothing business is out of money. She has "Sweet P" and "Mean P" tattoos on her arm. Yeeaah. Her babydoll sack dress looked kind of cute and fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Marion Lee owns a flower store in Dallas. I might be liking him. His goth-tastic dress left a bit to be desired, though.

Victorya Hong stands out as the lone Asian (and she's Korean, yay). Her portfolio looks like some bad Simplicity patterns but I'm hopeful. She's really pleased with her dress, but I'm not (and the judges are). It looks like a lot of black nothing. She better step it up.

God, someone's crying already?! That someone is Ricky Lizalde, who wears a mesh and patent engineer cap. I can tell this one's going to be a chafe. His black and silver babydoll dress looked well made, though, but the judges weren't enthused. I think my pal Amanda called it when she said Ricky is the new Andre.

Kit Pistol says, "Life is too short to have on a bad outfit." At first glance, her clothes look promising. At second, maybe not so much.

The previews for next week's episode look like angst city. I was feeling sort of ambivalent about the start of Project Runway, but now I say bring on the frocks, bring on the drama!

As for this week's ep of nip/tuck, I can only say matt/kimber + christian/hustling + julia/olivia + sean/eden = jaw/dropped. I'm not even going to talk about the hot tub scene. I might have to stop watching this show again. I feel dirty.

Will Russell served up soon as Louisville Luminaries Week continues.

Make it work!
Ms. P

2 comments:

  1. Last things first....the hot tub scene from Nip/Tuck never happend....NEVER HAPPENED! Man, I feel queasy.

    A few quick hits on Runway:

    -"Haiku of a cut"...honestly, WTF? I hate hippies (have you listened to Patton Oswalt ever? He has a great bit on his hatred of hippies).

    -How many different hats
    did Ricky wear in that ep? I think I counted three. I didn't know there were that many choices in engineers' hats. So is he covering up baldness or an unfortunate tattoo? Probably baldness, dude a stupid hat looks a lot dumber than no hair.

    -I've always wondered how much different these dresses must look in real life. I can't imagine they look better, but the judges almost always pick one fugly dress and single it out as great. Do they see something we (the viewing audience) do not? Or is their taste simply warped from too many years in the fashion industry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was outer limits, that hot tub scene.

    I haven't heard the Patton Oswalt bit. I'll have to look it up.

    That's pretty funny on Ricky and the hats. I'm going to have to start "Hat Watch".

    I think it's warped taste - that said when I did all the Spring 08 Fashion Week stuff I was surprised by how different the dresses looked on video compared to the photos.

    ReplyDelete