Monday, October 15, 2007

The LP Questionnaire - Ira Elliott of Nada Surf

Ira Elliott, Nada Surf's drummer since 1995, is clearly a sensitive and thoughtful fellow. And, as you'll read, a rather funny one, too.

Elliott played with The Fuzztones in the mid-80s and once starred in an After School Special, Stoned, along with Scott Baio.

Please enjoy his take on The LP Questionnaire:

Name: Ira Elliott
Pro Wrestling Name: Buff Mysterio (yes!)

1. Pretend it's 1991 (or 1985 if that’s more appropriate for your age). Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend:
I've already got my back up about this "age-appropriate" business, but regardless- let's go back to 1985 when the world was young and my present girlfriend was even younger- any mix tapes I would have made that year would likely have had some Beatles song ("If I Fell", maybe) to show that I had good taste and "roots", XTC's "You're The Wish You Are I Had" to show that I was a hopeless romantic and smarty-pants anglophile, and "Discipline of Love" by Robert Palmer in order to test the sexual... waters, as it were.

2. Which evil villain would make the best president? I was thinking that although he would be ruthless and vicious, Darth Vader would probably have a better foreign policy than that dick we have in office right now. Well, it couldn't be much worse anyway. Sorry, did I say "dick"? I meant "beady-eyed, ignorant, howler monkey".

3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? My first crush was on Betty Rubble. Pale, thin, dark hair... meow. I remember trying to figure out how I might somehow end up IN the Flintstones. Maybe get a job at the quarry and then casually drop by the Rubble house after work. I didn't really consider that I was trying to bag Barney's wife, a guy I probably would have really gotten along with really well. It's as confusing now as it was then, but for a host of different reasons. Funny, I went from Betty Rubble to Bettie Page (with a serious Emma Peel period in between).

4. What superpower do you wish you had? Free, five-bar Wifi wherever I stand! And I would sneeze really strong lattes. I'd be f**king Starbucksman.

5. What would the title of your autobiography be? From Betty Rubble to Bettie Page (With A Serious Emma Peel Period In Between)

Nada Surf plays Jim Porter's Emporium Wednesday night, October 17 at 8 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment