Monday, October 22, 2007

Counting like Feist

I'm sure you've all heard, Viva Laughlin got canned after two eps. I love ol' Hugh Jackman, but feel relieved that now I'm excused from watching the singing/dancing debacle.

Kristen Bell debuted on Heroes tonight (spoiler alert). Bell stars as Elle, a hero with Palpatine-like powers as her first scene has her walking past a metal container with buzzing electricity coming out of her fingertips. Heroes is picking up but they're definitely having a bit of a sophomore slump. Let's hope Tim Kring can write his way out of this paper bag. At least Nathan and Peter look more attractive this season although Milo Venti-whatever still gets on my last nerve. I like Monica, the new hero with the copycat ability, even if she thinks her powers come from God.

Speaking of Palpatine, did anyone watch the Fletcher/Beshear debate? Fletcher was a lot more polished than I expected, but I'll be voting for Beshear even if Tom thinks he looks like the Emperor. I did love how Governor Ernie was bathed in a pink glow that complemented his wine-colored tie. And Joe Gerth, no offense, but next time there's a televised event that you're part of, perhaps you might consider combing your hair? Anyway, it was an important debate even though it looked like something out of bad cable access, and I had a hard time staying interested in what they had to say.

Here's a random sampling of bits I've starred on my Google Reader in hopes of passing them along to you:

1. Rudolph Giuliani is appealing to values voters by reversing his stance on gay marriage. I loved Bill Maher's new rule about how Christians need to vote for Hillary who clearly wins hands down in a WWJD smackdown between her and Rudy.

2. Christopher Hitchens' God is Not Great is up for a National Book Award. I wonder if he'll be sober for the ceremony. And in other book news, one of my favorite authors, Milan Kundera, won the Czech Republic's State Award for The Unbearable Lightness of Being which was finally published there last year (after coming out in 1984).

3. Clarence Thomas says his Yale law degree is worth just 15 cents. What price, then, should we put on his Supreme Court judgments? Man, he seems like a grump.

4. South Korea apparently has a toilet culture. I just don't know what to make of this, but at least it's not as weird as the guy I posted who had an ear grafted onto his arm.

5. I would consider a move to Solitude.

6. Zac Posen designed a bag for Teachers Count, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and valuing teachers. While I'm not a huge Posen fan and the goals of this org seem a little... odd (I confess I didn't read up on how they "value" teachers), I am a big supporter of fine edumacators so if you're looking to do some good and are really into the mustard/ketchup/envelope look, here you go.

9. Too bad the Stan Lee running for Attorney General isn't the Stan Lee who co-created Spider-Man and my boyfriend The Silver Surfer. The former seems less qualified to dispense justice than the latter.

10. On the tennis front, David Nalbandian won the Madrid Masters last weekend. He beat Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer to take the title. Didn't know he had it in him.

And that's all she wrote! For now...

I really wish Alyson Hannigan didn't have bangs,
Ms. P

ps. Okay, "really" is pushing it.

1 comment:

  1. this is what i'd like to see on heroes:
    hiro, sark, veronica mars, greg grunberg, claire, sylar and strokes petrelli. that's it. well, maybe claire's dad because she's a minor and she needs a family. and the haitian cos he doesn't really talk.
    i was seriously disappointed by the lack of screen time kristen bell got in her premiere episode, and i'm not so keen on her power either. i think heroes is rapidly becoming one of those shows, like entourage, that i don't really like but i keep watching for some inexplicable reason anyway.

    ReplyDelete