Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Bridge to Nowhere


It's funny, when we were riding to Sunnyvale from the San Francisco airport we were joking about the 90s collection we'd see commercials for in ten years... You know, it would include great hits from 311, Filter, Dishwalla, Everclear, Seven Mary Three, Deep Blue Something, etc etc... Well, ten years is now because it's 1.47 am and Tom and I are watching an infomercial for The Buzz Box hosted by none other than Mark McGrath.

Damn, the 90s were... embarrassing.

After spending nine hours at the venue my brain is mush. I'm not even sure how to translate everything that I saw today so I think I'll wait until I'm home on Monday to put it all together rather than writing a bunch of gibberish now.

Some quick random thoughts: My Morning Jacket was splendid (of course) and it was quite cool to see Bo playing Neil Young's pump organ. That sounds dirty but it wasn't. Metallica covered Garbage's "Only Happy When It Rains". Hearing Kirk sing "pour your misery down on me" isn't something I'll forget any time soon (another thing I won't forget: witnessing Kirk and those other Metallica people rehearse "I Just Want to Celebrate" in MMJ's dressing room). Regina Spektor, whose live show has only improved (and she's as sweet as ever), was the highlight of the day and seeing those kids nearly broke my heart but it was a joy to watch them revel in the music.

At one point Mr. Hammett was standing right next to me but he might as well have been miles away because of course I didn't say a thing. Apparently he's a fan of the hub's band, though, so perhaps someday our paths will collide. Perhaps even tomorrow!

But tomorrow is today,
Ms. P

No comments:

Post a Comment