Monday, October 4, 2010

With No Alarms And No Surprises

It's hard for me to blog when I'm not feeling particularly interesting. Most days when I'm home go by in a hazy blur of ITL. See, those Jersey Shore kids have gym-tan-laundry and I have internet-tv-laundry. Not quite as exciting, I admit, but I'm definitely not getting punched in the face as much so there's that.

I've had a real love/hate relationship with Kentucky ever since I moved here in 2004. Things I love: all this green, my neighborhood, the fact that two of my closest friends here are cool republicans (shocking, right?), and a life that is simple. Things I don't love: how insular it is, being judged for living in Oldham County, being judged based on what high school I went to (one you've never heard of, I'm sure), and a life that is simple. See, at the heart of it I don't think I'm cut out for a life this easy. It sounded great when I moved here and I was tour managing bands. How wonderful to come home after a long grueling tour to a place where I could just veg out and do nothing. But now I'm basically a housewife languishing at the East End Target with the rest of the other housewives, and while I used to pray I would never have the sort of weary desperate look on my face that I see so many of them wearing, now I'm pretty sure I do.

So I'm planning my exit strategy. I'm not sure if 2012 will be the year I take flight or the year the world ends. Maybe it will be both. In that case, I'll have a front row ticket, I'm sure, ensconced once again in my beloved Los Angeles. A place that when all is said and done is home for me.

I'm not knocking Kentucky - and there's a chance I won't be going anywhere if we can't save enough moolah. Kentucky is a lovely place... I'm just not sure we were meant to be. And it's not a conundrum that can be solved by going to a different Target.

Well, that was a bummer! Here's something to rectify this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment