Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The My Morning Jacket Press Conference - Can You See The Hard Helmet On My Head

Well, that happened.

That's Tom Blankenship (aka husband type person or, to you, MMJ bassist type person) showing off his supercute hardhat that they gave the boyos so they could tour the future KFC Yum! Center.

Tom says, "The new arena is gigantic and fancy, like pro-team fancy."

I did not go on this tour because I do not don bright red plastic headwear.

So, this whole brouhaha was for the upcoming My Morning Jacket show at Louisville's very own aforementioned brand new arena. The venue is hosting a series of opening concerts featuring The Eagles, MMJ and (haha) Justin Bieber.

Tickets for the October 29 MMJ show are $45 and go on sale August 14 at Ticketmaster. Local awesome saucies Wax Fang open. A special general admission cash-only sale will take place on August 12 at Ear X-tacy's new location at 2226 Bardstown Road. Ear X-tacy moves on July 30.

I don't actually remember much of the presser as I was too busy trying to live tweet it. Which I did... poorly. Oops.

Jim talked about the vitalosity of local business, artists and such and representatives of the Louisville Youth Orchestra, who will be performing with the band, were on hand to talk about how psyched they are that MMJ is donating $1 from each ticket to their scholarship fund. The fund raises money for at risk youth to be able to attend school. The head orchestra honcho said that they should double their fund with this influx of bucks. So that is most excellent.

Umm, here's the rest in pictures...


Jim talks about things and answers the question, "New record?" with "We're working on it."


Happy Patrick! Happy Tom! Happy John from Ear X-tacy! Dude with camera! I'm pretty sure that's Jeffrey Lee Puckett's arm.


I'm having this banner turned into bedsheets. Not really.


I finally met this guy. This photo is old - from the Evil Urges release in-store thingy back in 2008. His name is Benny and he is very nice. He used to play in a band called Elliott. I never saw them but heard they were quite good. Kevin from Wax Fang was in that group, as well.


And finally, here's a closeup of the hardhat because I just know you really wanted to see it from another angle. An angle that is not atop Tom's head.

Alrighty then... now back to regularly scheduled programming. Regularly scheduled programming looking something like this:

5 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really did want to see a pic that featured the hard hat!
    and i found myself wondering about that banner: if it doesn't get hung up in someone's garage/studio maybe it will end up draped over someone's BBQ in the rainy season.

    but: great news! sounds like it will be a fab event! am really digging the name: Yum Center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you please ask your husband to tell his friends to please play that hard helmet song? one of my favs. with or without actual mmj helmets. their call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I love this post! :) And I'm so glad I got to see the hat close-up. I needed that! Can't wait for the show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're probably already aware of this, being a world traveler and all, but in British English "helmet" is a slang euphemism for the tip of the male genitalia, the equivalent of "head" in American English. You were wise not to participate.

    ReplyDelete