Thursday, July 30, 2009

Song For A Day - 66



Yesterday I wrote about my 1988 with The Church's Starfish. Today it's my 1999 with The Afghan Whigs'1965. We're making some heavy withdrawals at the nostalgia bank this week, I tell you.

And ohhh, the magical powers of Greg Dulli, a man whose magnetic stage presence defies the fact that he's actually a bit scary up close and in person. Before I ever saw the band the only thing I knew about them was the zine Fat Greg Dulli so I never dreamed this guy would be someone women threw their underthings at. Then my pal George took me to a show at The Palace in LA and whilst I remained fully clothed, I couldn't deny the appeal.

I'm sure many a girl's lusty fantasies revolved around the smoky, luscious, makes me feel joyful gathering of songs that is 1965. For die hard Afghan Whigs fans, as I understand it, this is the record where they started to share the suck but I find no fault. It was my first, it was my only.

"66" is the track that sent my soul into happy shivers (though I listen to "The Slide Song" more often these days). I hope you enjoy this here video of The Twilight Singers (Dulli's band with Mark Lanegan) performing it with Whigs' bassist John Curley. He even throws in a pocketful of trojans...

There's an Afghan Whigs tribute album out now. You can download My Jerusalem's festive version for free here.

1 comment:

  1. Love that album and 66 is my favorite song. I saw The Twilight Singers perform it in Atlanta. They were amazing.

    ReplyDelete