Saturday, March 21, 2009

OMG I Was There - Kind of Blue at 50 Edition


Pictured: George Avakian, Quincy Jones, Rolling Stone's David Fricke and Erin Davis.

I'm so sorry I didn't do a Pick Three for tonight's shows, but a) I'm sure you made your merry way through the night quite well without me talking about That Petrol Emotion and how I used to listen to "Hey Venus" over and over, and b) I was too busy shooting THE COOLEST PICTURE I WILL EVER TAKE.

Not the best. Not the most perfectly composed, but by God, this shot epitomizes the phrase "Respect Your Elders."

Earlier in the blogging season we established that I am not a huge jazz afficionado, but I have a lot of respect for Miles Davis and his amazing legacy. I was fortunate enough to see him in concert in London just two and a half months before he passed away.

Today's Kind of Blue at 50 panel reminded me of the best parts of Davis. It was full of musical education, once in a lifetime stories and a reminder of the rich history that brings us all together here at ye olde SXSW.

When Quincy Jones joined in as the talk was nearly over and proceeded to do impressions of Miles asking Herbie Hancock if he liked his new shoes (an example of their onstage banter) and telling Jones "Everybody knows that's my shit," when he asked him to sign a painting, it was just... totally bananas. The back and forth dialogue between him and legendary jazz producer George Avakian, who turned 90 this week (90! And he was more lucid than half the people I know), was a total delight... one of those rare and special SXSW moments that appear like magic... you can't believe your eyes... but here's the photographic proof.

My goodness, it's 2 am... don't want to make it to 3 am eternal so I'll be off. Back at you in the morning.

(re-post from SXSW)

1 comment:

  1. That is truely amazing LP. I love the picture because it looks like everyone is having a terrific time. That one should certainly be framed. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete