Monday, November 24, 2008

Twilight's Last Gleaming

I chose this Twilight poster for my friend Jamie who complained that Kristen Stewart never smiled during the movie. I won't be tacky and say that this might be why.

MINOR SPOILER ALERT for all of you who haven't seen the movie based on Stephenie Meyer's engaging, though at times questionably written, series about the most perfect vampire that ever lived and the dopey beyond average girl he falls in love with.

I enjoyed the books and yes, I was excited about the movie, especially given the awesomeness of the trailers. I was also psyched to hear that Catherine Hardwicke had the biggest opening weekend of any female director as I quite liked Lords of Dogtown.

So, you know, boy was I bummed and all that Twilight pretty much sucked (no pun intended).

Some random thoughts:

I did not know that vampires constantly walked around looking bug eyed and constipated. I thought they were cooler than that.

The casting of Nikki Reed as Rosalie was a tragic mistake, especially considering how much that character figures into book four. Now I'm really not looking forward to that film. Seriously, they couldn't find any blonde actresses? Same goes for Peter Facinelli as Carlisle. Was Simon Baker not available? And egads, poor Jackson Rathbone. I swear he actually looks pretty cute in real life (or as real life as that photo is). I never imagined Jasper as some kind of mildly retarded mute.

I used to like Kristen Stewart (Panic Room, anyone?) but am now convinced she cannot complete a sentence. I saw her on Letterman last week and her performance there mirrored that of Bella just a little too closely.

I'm actually a bit surprised that Robert Pattinson (minus his diamond sparkly skin, yeesh) was the highlight here, but he pulled Edward off for the most part... and I liked his Volvo.

Tom thought Charlie was the best. Billy Burke reminded me of a young Tom Skerritt.

I was unhappy about the casting of Jacob, but Taylor Lautner grew on me. I'm looking forward to seeing him as a wolf... but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to New Moon.

So yes, after a five day absence I return to you, dear readers, to poo poo the Twilight. And to think, I could have been watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince! Damn you, Warner Bros.!

5 comments:

  1. See? THAT'S Bella and Edward. Not those DeVrys School of Acting graduates I saw at the Alamo Drafthouse tonight. Of course the crap script didn't help. Maybe the smiles and the bliss of finding the love of their young lives that was reflected in the book ended up on the cutting room floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your post sums up EXACTLY how i felt about the movie. It was, for lack of a better term, stale. And could they have put anymore white make-up on Peter Facinelli? When he walked into his first scene, i thought maybe he'd gone headlong into a box of powdered donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all. I was really disappointed but I'll probably go see the next one too. I'm a sucker for punishment. I too am very put out with WB for HP because the best part of seeing twilight was the new HP trailer that showed Dumbledore and Harry on the cliff outside the cave. Super, awesome! Of course all of the teen girls in the world are sighing over Edward....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was talking to the girls in my tae kwon do class last night about it... I think they're around 18... and they LOVED it. So I'm wondering if there's some sort of disconnect for us old ladies.

    Yes, they do seem to love the Edward.

    And to JS... powdered donuts... ha! Maybe that's what the makeup artist used. What I find intriguing is that no one in Forks thought he looked strange. He appeared rather unhealthy for a doctor.

    ReplyDelete