Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Proposition 8 in California - And Now A Word From Tim Gunn

I hope everyone's going to vote today. I'm not expecting the lines at the Brownsboro Community Center to be too long, but we'll see.

Something I've been meaning to write about is Proposition 8 in California which, if it passes, will ban gay marriage in a state where the California Supreme Court has recently legalized it.

People talk about protecting marriage and the sanctity of marriage, etc etc ad nauseum. I won't talk about the hypocrisy of this viewpoint (because surely these people believe in divorce), but I will say that I believe the protection of marriage rights means rights for all.

I know this is a Kentucky blog, but I have a lot of California readers so this one's for the left coast, ya'll.

And now a word from...

Tim Gunn


Joe Biden


Itzhak Perlman


Margaret Cho & Selene Luna

4 comments:

  1. I don't understand why some of these lines have to be so long. I read that 3 hours is average and it's up to 8 hours in some places? nothing but respect for people willing to wait that long but to a dutchman it seems really weird. somebody must be screwing up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I waited 0 minutes. There was a couple checking in when we arrived but a booth was open immediately.

    Sometimes living in rural America has its benefits!

    I did love how the check boxes on the form didn't line up with the candidates name, though. That was a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "How can you write religious morality police discrimination into an entire state's constitution?!"

    We have here in Kentucky, unfortunately.

    Which is why I have a marriage license from Massachusetts and not Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have here in TN, too, with an 81% majority. Thanks for reminding me I can register elsewhere. If I were to marry, I would refuse to do so here while it remains in the state constitution.

    ReplyDelete