Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hey Mr YouTube DJ - Jim James of My Morning Jacket

Yes, today is the day, boys and girls. The day when My Morning Jacket's Evil Urges arrives on our doorsteps and takes us on a magical musical journey to, well, Ear X-Tacy if you were lucky enough to get a ticket for today's in-store... or maybe Bonnaroo this weekend... perhaps Toronto or Montreal... or the grand finale of their short run, the sold out show at Radio City Music Hall.

To honor this momentous occasion, please enjoy this special edition of Hey Mr YouTube DJ with Jim James.

JAMES BROWN, MICHAEL JACKSON AND PRINCE - LEGACY TELETHON 1987

What more can I say about this?? It's fucking James Brown, Michael Jackson, and Prince, who rides in on a wizard at the end. Alternate time warp. Is this real?

JIM HENSON - TIMEPIECE

This is one of Jim Henson's early art pieces. The music is great, the thought is great, the direction is great. What is time and we are constantly running out of it. Henson was a master of blending sense with the surreal. The genius at work.

MARVIN GAYE - WHAT'S GOIN ON/WHAT'S HAPPENIN BROTHER

This live clip is simply priceless. A rare look at Marvin live, at the piano no less. He looks so peaceful and beautiful here - the clips of city life interspersed are so beautiful as well. Perhaps the greatest music ever made by humans - forever relevant and forever powerful. Touched by the divine.

SAM COOKE AND MUHAMMAD ALI - THE GANG'S ALL HERE

A rare look at two of the biggest legends of all time. Sweet and funny - Muhammad's intro- "Mr. Sam Cooke, as you can see, like me, he's awful pretty." Awesome.

JOHN PRINE - ALL THE BEST

This song kills me - a great old clip here, a nice acoustic version, some sweet finger picking. It seems like John has been through so much and always comes out on top. Carl and I were lucky enough to get to open for John and even share the stage at the end of his set. One of the greatest thttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifhrills of my life. We recently covered this song for a Prine tribute. He is the man.

We hope you've enjoyed this visual feast, and I hope you enjoy MMJ's new offering as much as I do (and I'm not just saying that. For reals). Tom Blankenship did a Hey Mr. YouTube DJ post, too, if you're interested.

I'm off on tour for two weeks. Plenty of reports from the road, I'm hoping. Can't wait to spend my birthday at the Murakami exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum.

You've gotta like what you see
Ms. P

3 comments:

  1. um that marvin video just made me cry my eyes out. also no xmas is complete without the john prine xmas album. just wanted to note that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun in Brooklyn! And Happy Early Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the feast for the eyes and ears. What fun to find a guest DJ today.
    After listening non stop to Evil Urges today and last night, Driving in my car loud, at the San Diego river in my ears, and out of the car parked with the doors open wide near the Pacific Ocean, I thank MMJ for all the wonderful music. I love you guys.

    Lisa Marie

    ReplyDelete